Strategic Planning Manager Job description About Us
The National Lottery Community Fund is the largest funder of community activity in the UK - we’re proud to award money raised by players of The National Lottery to communities across the UK.
At the heart of everything we do is the belief that when people are in the lead, communities thrive. National Lottery funding is open to everyone and we’re privileged to be able to work with the smallest of grassroots groups right up to large UK-wide charities and community groups.
We support a wide range of projects with grants ranging from as little as £500 to multi-million-pound programmes.
Last year alone we gave out over half a billion pounds (£588.2 million) of National Lottery funding to over 14,000 community projects across the UK, enabling even more people and communities to bring their ideas and ambitions to life. Over eight in ten (83%) of our grants were for less than £10k, going to grassroots groups and charities.
We are here to support people and communities through bad times as well as good – and that has never been so important as this year. Thanks to National Lottery players, we’ve been able to respond quickly and positively to communities working hard to mitigate the impact of COVID-19. Their efforts have been humbling and inspiring and we’re delighted to have been able to help by distributing over £400 million pounds in National Lottery funding alone across the UK since the first lockdown began in March 2020.
About the Role
We have an opportunity for a Strategic Planning Manager to join our Strategic Planning team.
The location of this role is as advertised, however due to the pandemic, colleagues are temporarily remote working and this is under regular review in-line with government guidelines.
The Strategic Planning team is responsible for the delivery of our strategic ambitions in line with our Corporate Plan. The team creates and oversees the strategic management processes, working closely with senior leaders and teams to ensure all directorates are aligned with the strategic ambitions in the corporate plan. The team is responsible for facilitating and refining our strategic processes, providing guidance, monitoring delivery, reviewing overall progress against the plan and supporting the Senior Management Team in strategy development.
As a Strategic Planning Manager, you will report to the Head of Strategic Planning and will work closely with the Strategic Delivery Manager. You’ll co-ordinate the key components of the strategy management system including the development and planning of the organisation’s corporate plan; aligning the wider organisation with the strategic ambitions; facilitating the annual business planning exercise and ensuring monitoring and learning is undertaken across the organisation.
You will have strong analytical skills to interpret multiple sources of data, simplify complexity, and make connections to form meaningful conclusions. You will prepare thorough written progress reports for the Senior Management Team to monitor progress against the plan as well as identifying areas for improvement to ensure we remain on track to achieve our strategic objectives.
You will work collaboratively within a wider network of colleagues across the organisation, including senior leaders, providing coaching and guidance to increase strategic performance across the organisation. You will be an integral part of a small team of dispersed colleagues but will work with colleagues at all levels and develop a good understanding of the local context that different teams work in. Alongside your team, you will be passionate about reinforcing the corporate strategy throughout the organisation and confident in communicating with colleagues on a variety of channels to ensure colleagues understand and feel alignment to the corporate plan.
You will have line management responsibility for other colleagues and ensure there is continued development of skills and knowledge across the team.
Location: Birmingham or Newcastle (When safe, UK travel will be required)
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: 37 Hours per week, flexible working considered
Interview Date: 25 January 2021
- Experience in delivering key elements of the strategy management system, including ability to provide professionally presented strategic analysis
- Experience of developing processes, systems and associated guidance and template documentation, and guiding teams through the implementation of the new process
- Ability to take a continuous approach to planning, managing uncertainty, metrics and measurements, contingency planning and road mapping
- Solid stakeholder management experience with ability to influence and engage senior leaders and strong communication skills at all levels
- Strategic thinker with ability to maintain overall perspective on wider context
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary teams, mentoring and coaching individuals and providing direction, highlighting priorities and identifying solutions.
- Familiarity with project management methodologies and risk management
- Line management experience with evidence of how you have continuously developed yourself, your team and your work
- Knowledgeable in business excellence frameworks such as EFQM
We seek to develop our staff and offer a wide range of personal development opportunities. We offer a wide range of generous benefits including:
- Generous annual leave and company pension scheme
- Flexible working to support staff with their work/life balance, taking into account things such as caring responsibilities, worship and attendance at religious festivals
- Enhanced paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Season ticket and cycle to work loans
- Paid volunteering leave
How to Apply
Visit our website on https://www.tnlcommunityfund.org.uk/jobs for further details about the vacancy and our application process.
Equality, diversity and inclusion in our grant-making, and amongst our people, are all vital to our success in supporting people and communities to thrive. We believe our people should represent the communities, organisations and individuals we work with. We are committed to being an inclusive and great place to work, and recognise our people come from diverse backgrounds. We are a Disability Confident employer and positively welcome applications from disabled people.