What are we campaigning for?
Unlock Democracy campaigns for real democracy protected by a new constitution. We want a democratic society that ensures equality and justice for all, and a political system that reflects and upholds the values we collectively share. We believe that the UK needs a modern democracy that is fit to deal with the serious challenges facing society today – whether that is domestic issues like the housing crisis, homelessness, unemployment, stagnant wages, collapsing high streets, or existential threats like the climate crisis.
Unlock Democracy is a small and creative team that thrives on collaborative working, seeking out new ideas, and experimentation. As a team, what brings us together is a genuine commitment to making change. We know we’ve got a big challenge on our hands but we’re all passionate about overhauling British democracy.
We have a clear vision, and how we get there is a challenge for all members of the team.
Unlock Democracy is a membership organisation, and we currently have around 1,500 members. Our members elect the Unlock Democracy Council every two years. The Council is in charge of the overall strategic direction, and appoints a Management Board, a Chair, and two Vice Chairs.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a friendly, organised and experienced person to tell a compelling story about Unlock Democracy and our campaigns. The successful candidate will develop and deliver strategic plans and digital communications for our campaigns, to encourage mass audiences to become involved in online or offline activism to help win Unlock Democracy campaigns.
We want to grow as a campaigning force and the ability to write, implement and deliver effective campaign plans is key to that mission. The Campaigns and Digital Manager will help to deepen our relationship with existing supporters, as well as recruit new supporters, and to maintain our relationship with members of Unlock Democracy.
Main responsibilities include:
● Working with the Director to develop and implement the organisation’s online and offline campaign strategy and to ensure Unlock Democracy is able to respond quickly and effectively to campaign opportunities
● Ensuring the campaigns’ strategy helps lock-in a long term relationship with Unlock Democracy's supporters with a supporter journey and not just a series of ad hoc actions
● Developing an online network of activists and local groups throughout the country, liaising where appropriate with volunteer regional coordinators and local groups of Unlock Democracy and its partners. In the medium to long term, broadening the activities of this network to include on the ground campaigning
● Organising online meetings and training events, often in coordination with local groups, members and activists, which further the organisation’s campaigns and broader objectives. In the medium to long term, broadening the activities to include face-to-face meetings and training sessions
● Producing reports on campaigning for the Director, and contribute to discussions at Council on campaigning as required by the Director
● Manage Unlock Democracy’s websites and social media accounts, securing responses to queries and comments where appropriate
● Project manage the drafting, design, and production of campaign materials, online tools, emails and online fundraising asks on appropriate issues as agreed with the Director
● Produce compelling copy about Unlock Democracy’s campaigns and activities for the website, email actions, fundraising emails as well as other campaigning purposes
● Test campaign actions and use the responses to learn about our supporters and influence future campaign actions
● Where necessary, edit and commission campaigns-related articles for Unlock Democracy’s blog from members, supporters, volunteers, partners and activists
● Oversee the campaign and membership team’s volunteer recruitment and management
● Representing Unlock Democracy in meetings and at conferences as necessary
● Other tasks related to either the campaigning work or the administration of Unlock Democracy and its partners, which may from time to time be delegated by the Director
Unlock Democracy seeks a Campaigns and Digital Manager to help develop and maintain our relationship with our supporters and maintain our relationship with our members. The successful candidate will be an organised and methodical person who has experience of running campaigns both online and offline, who is flexible and a quick learner and is comfortable working as part of a small close-knit team. The successful candidate will be committed to the aims and values of Unlock Democracy
● Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
● Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
● Ability to use digital campaigns software (Unlock Democracy uses Impact Stack and Mailchimp currently) and experience of linking membership and supporter data
● Good general IT skills
● Be organised, systematic and a confident team worker
● The ability to learn quickly
● The ability to translate complex policy issues into compelling campaigns for a range of audiences
● Experience of developing and implementing digital and on the ground campaigns
● The ability to reflect analytically on a campaign and identify improvements
● Good project management skills
● Sound graphic design skills including creating infographics and images for web pages
● Confident team worker with experience of working both in small teams, with other organisations and with volunteers
● An interest in politics in general and democratic reform in particular
● Experience of working in a membership organisation
● Experience of cross party campaigning
● Experience of working with the media
If you think your experience fits then we would love to hear from you. Your experience doesn’t need to come from paid work - it can be from personal projects, voluntary experience, or activities you’ve been a part of in your local community, college, university, or online activism.
We particularly encourage applications from people from ethnic minority backgrounds, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and people with caring responsibilities and other groups typically under-represented in campaigning organisations. The office is accessible by lift, although at the current time staff are working from home. If you’re suitable for the role then we’ll be happy to explore with you what reasonable adjustments are necessary for you to work with us. We are happy to explore options for flexible working including working from home.
Please email email@example.com for details about how to apply. Please put ‘Campaigns and Digital Manager Position’ in the email subject line.
Application deadline: Wed 27th January 2021