Head of Communications & Campaigns
Location: HQ in Slimbridge, Glos with opportunity for home working
Working Pattern: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Circa c£45,000 per annum
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) is the UK’s leading wetland conservation charity. We are pioneers in saving threatened wetland wildlife, a centre for excellence in conservation science and experts in wetland management and creation. Around a million visitors a year engage with wetland nature at our ten sites around the UK, and we work nationally and internationally in key locations to balance conservation with sustainable livelihoods.
We have recently completed a review of our strategic priorities which includes ambitious targets for developing bigger and better wetlands, encouraging more people to take direct action for these unique places, and ensuring key decision makers around the world realise the essential role wetlands play in restoring nature, combating climate change and enhancing health and wellbeing.
The Head of Communications and Campaigns at WWT will play a critical role in helping us to deliver our ambitions. This newly created position will be responsible for developing our strategy to create imaginative and impactful communications campaigns that raise awareness of wetlands and wetland nature and inspire a million people to take direct action for wetlands. Working in partnership with colleagues across the organisation, you will develop and deliver our communications and campaigns strategy, including our ambassador management and events programmes, and oversee our press office.
We are seeking an individual:
- With a track record of leading and developing high performing communications teams that design and deliver eye-catching campaigns that engage, inspire and drive change.
- A strategic thinker, you will be skilled in building effective working relationships across a complex organisation and advising senior colleagues on key communications and reputational issues.
- Experienced in designing and driving integrated communications campaigns aimed at a diverse range of audiences, including consumers, supporters, policy makers and stakeholders, which deliver measurable results.
- With excellent communications abilities and a track record of cultivating relationships with the media, you will be skilled in bringing together multi-disciplinary teams to deliver a common goal.
- Experienced in designing and delivering events with supporters, policy makers and other stakeholders to support wider external communications and corporate objectives.
This role is an opportunity to make a direct contribution to the conservation of wetlands and wetland species at a critical moment for the natural world. The successful candidate will have a passion for, but not necessarily a background in, environmental issues. You will have the chance to shape and set the strategic direction for a new communications, campaigns and event function that brings together a highly motivated group of four individuals. We are based in Slimbridge, Gloucestershire but are happy to discuss the options for home working.
This post will play a vital role in helping us to achieve these aims.
In return for your hard work and dedication you’ll enjoy a wide range of benefits including:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service
- Contributory pension scheme (conditions apply)
- Life assurance
- Free car parking and secure bike storage areas
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free entry to all our centres
Closing date: 17th January 2021
Interview dates: 28th and 29th January 2021
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you wish to find out more about our inspiring work, please click the apply button to be taken to our website where you can complete your application for this position.
WWT is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment.
Registered Charity Number England & Wales, no 1030884 and Scotland, no SC039410.
No agencies please.