The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams, and has two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park.
Our goals for grassroots football over the next four years are more relevant than ever, as we strive to unite communities and improve the health of the nation through our game. Achieving these goals for football and realising our vision will only be possible by creating a truly inclusive volunteer movement, that can have an impact on communities and personal wellbeing.
We are looking for a National Volunteering Manager to provide strategic leadership for the area of football volunteering, leading the development of a national volunteer workforce strategy. This strategy will deliver an outward looking and inclusive vision of volunteering in football, to serve and enable the game to flourish across England.
The successful candidate will ensure new volunteers are recruited, appointed, inducted, supported and rewarded, so that they are empowered to deliver high quality football opportunities for all. It is vital our volunteers have an outstanding and rewarding experience, staying involved in the game for a lifetime.
- Develop a National Volunteer Workforce Strategy that provides a framework for the recruitment, training/support, retention and rewarding of volunteers within grassroots football
- Work closely with Heads of Department across the GRF Division and FA Education to ensure the FA Volunteer Workforce Strategy is embedded in wider business plans and successfully implemented at local, regional and national levels
- Use high profile tournaments (Euro 2020 and Women's Euro 2022) as platforms to launch and establish volunteer workforce projects as part of local/regional football legacy strategies
Visionary Thinking and Results Orientation
- Identify and develop appropriate volunteer mentoring initiatives to support volunteer recruitment and activation
- Develop national and regional volunteering support networks to aid volunteer retention
- Develop and implement robust processes and databases to enable tracking and trend analysis of volunteering in grassroots football
- Devise, lead and oversee the implementation of specific projects that develop core skills required for a volunteer workforce in football based on current research and insight
- Provide regular reports and impact studies to profile progress. Identifying opportunities where we can uncover barriers to volunteering in football
Relationship Management and Influencing
- Create formal links with relevant volunteer agencies, sports organisations and corporate partners, to align or maximise approaches to volunteer engagement and leverage new investment (eg Sport England, Sports Leaders UK, Sport and Recreation Alliance)
- Collaborate and form formal links with national football organisations to maximise volunteer workforce opportunities (eg EFL, Premier League Community Foundation/CCOs)
- Work with key teams across the Division to establish and embed effective pathways for young people and adults to participate in grassroots football volunteering
- Work with relevant FA Communications and Marketing teams to ensure promotion of volunteering news stories through media and website, including volunteering campaigns
- Executes additional tasks as required in order to meet FA Group changing priorities.
What we are looking for
- Proven experience in shaping Volunteer Workforce Strategy, with the ability to use creative and innovative thinking to break away from traditional methods
- Experience of devising and delivering large scale volunteer recruitment programmes across complex landscapes
- Experience of providing development support and guidance to volunteer networks, driving change and measuring impact
- Experience in communicating with, presenting to, and influencing a range of audiences
- The ability to effectively develop and motivate people
- Demonstrable project management experience, including financial management control of budgets, information management and producing simple financial reports
- Experience of producing high level management information for a variety of audiences
- Understanding of the latest developments in national/regional sports strategy, and emerging models of behaviour change
- Solid understanding of the organisations and agencies that can support volunteer workforce development
- Degree-level qualification or PRINCE 2
- Project management qualification e.g. PRINCE 2
- Understanding of the functional workings of grassroots sports clubs
- Strong understanding of the role of digital in sport
- Professional or voluntary experience working in grassroots football, or grassroots sports more broadly
- Ability to identify and progress new opportunities
- Understanding of the political and functional workings of County Football Associations
What we can offer you
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.