Head of ICT
Location: Homeworking until May 2021 (date subject to review and change)*
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: Competitive based on experienced
Enhancements: London Weighting
We’re ZSL (Zoological Society of London), an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos (London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo), we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.
ZSL is seeking a highly credible and collaborative individual to be our new Head of ICT, who will provide operational leadership to the ICT team in the UK (across two sites at London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo) and ICT oversight for our overseas country offices, ensuring a high quality ICT service is provided across all areas of the Society’s activities. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer & MD of Business Services and leading the ICT department, this role will take responsibility for developing and delivering efficient ICT processes and solutions including identifying new systems, maintaining reliable operational systems and technical infrastructure and, enhancing ZSL’s use of cloud services. You will be influential in supporting the personal development of the team. You will also have a key role in supporting the Chief Financial Officer & MD of Business Services with the on-going development and implementation of the Society’s ICT strategy.
The Head of ICT will champion relations nationally and internationally with staff, acting as a strategic business partner, and will be supported by the Chief Financial Officer & MD business Services. This will include partnering with all parts of ZSL (Institute of Zoology, Conservation Solutions, Zoo’s and our Central Services) and providing exceptional leadership support, reporting, monitoring and communications systems to ensure ZSL’s systems and data management controls are protected, compliant and upheld across the society.
This senior management role requires a confident, resilient and proactive individual who has gravitas and is capable of making operational decisions on a global scale and can think strategically. As such we are ideally looking for someone who has previous experience or is currently operating as a Head of ICT and holds extensive experience working with a range of stakeholders who will be confident in liaising with senior stakeholders and leadership across ZSL, as well as external stakeholders. The successful candidate will also possess exceptional people and project-management skills, and be able to plan and keep track of multiple projects while constantly evaluating the business environment for opportunities and threats.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidate to take on a senior post within an established international organisation. You must be genuinely excited by the prospect of joining a world leading conservation charity such as ZSL.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working with the Chief Financial Officer & MD of Business Services, develop and deliver the ICT department’s vision, strategy and plan.
- Provision of strategic information and business analysis; management of budgets and monthly report on project delivery.
- Lead and oversee priority change projects, particularly in light of the need to continue with the transformation of the ICT function to meet the changing needs of the Society including our ticketing activity, compliance with GDPR and other relevant data protection regulation and security best practise.
- Ensure ZSL’s investment in Microsoft’s Office 365 platform and Azure services are developed and enhanced to deliver new services, drive collaboration and sharing, and replace end of life services reducing costs and/or adding value.
- Manage all service providers and maintenance contracts to ensure value for money and appropriate risk mitigation.
- Develop a clear roadmap for future ICT services and features.
- Ideally be chartered qualified with a professional membership body such as the British Computer Society and have worked at Head of Department level or higher, with a proven track record of leading and developing high performing teams in a complex organisation.
- Significant experience of ICT management (including overseas) gained in an ICT leadership role.
- Strong project management knowledge and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to influence, negotiate and work with a wide range of stakeholders with different priorities.
- Demonstrable experience of high quality delivery in a rapidly changing environment.
- Proven experience of working successfully at strategic level including developing high-level business plans.
- Extensive experience in leading cross functional teams and implementing ICT strategy globally.
- Current or previous people management experience is essential as is the ability to work with a wide range of people from different cultures.
- A solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; fluency in English is essential.
This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent position reporting to the Chief Financial Officer & MD of Business Services.
*At present this role will be homeworking until May 2021 (date subject to review and change) but may require occasional attendance on site until then as needed to perform the role. Thereafter, it is anticipated the post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park, however, the post holder may occasionally be required to travel to Whipsnade Zoo.
Having a "can do attitude", solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 15th November 2020
To Apply and for More Information:
If you would like to apply and find out more about this position, please click the Apply button to be directed to our website where you can complete your application for this position.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities in employment.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.