The Elfrida Society (Elfrida) started its work with people with learning disabilities 100 years ago. Initially known as Elfrida Rathbone Islington, Elfrida continues to build on its work with people with learning disabilities, in Islington and surrounding boroughs, to this date. Throughout our long history Elfrida has always been proud of its cherished community base and strong record of campaigning for inclusivity, against injustice, to ensure that people with learning disabilities have the same chances and opportunities to succeed in life, and that their voice and rights are represented.
We are particularly proud to be an accessible and accountable employer of people with learning disabilities. Currently our organisation is supported by a strong team of 22 staff, including 12 employees with learning disabilities and a dedicated team of volunteers.
About the role
The Elfrida Society (Elfrida) is looking to appoint a highly motivated individual to co-lead the development of our well-established and highly respected learning disabilities charity situated in Islington.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, have a management background, be passionate, creative, and committed to the work of the charity.
Elfrida is about to embark on a refurbishment of its offices and service development project. This now presents a unique and exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to work with the Chief Executive Officer and the Senior Management Team to help develop the role of the charity to meet the challenges ahead and support the development of services for people with learning disabilities and learning difficulties.
The role is about being a visible part of the day to day running of the charity, getting involved and supporting the staff and volunteers and making a difference.
- In close collaboration with the CEO to lead the development of the charity’s estates and services with innovation, motivation and inspiration
- Positively co-lead and manage fundraising and social media opportunities raising the profile of the charity within the community
- Lead on the quality and performance monitoring of services, driving forward service improvements and seeking out new business opportunities
- Work with the CEO and the Senior Management Team to develop and deliver the operating strategy and business objectives.
- Maintain and grow existing and new donor and volunteer relationships providing excellent supporter care across a range of fundraising streams
- Work closely with all stakeholders to develop and deliver excellence in all aspects of the work of the charity
- Support the management of the estate of the charity, including our office buildings, and rental properties.
- Promote and enhance the values and reputation of the charity within the community
- Support the management and development of the team of staff and volunteers.
- Effectively liaise with stakeholders in all aspects of the work of the charity.
- To safeguard the good name, ethos and values of the organisation.
- Establish and build a strong, effective and a constructive working relationship with the CEO, SMT and the staff team.
- Proven ability to create, develop and implement successful service development strategies and plans.
- Experience generating funds from a range of supporters, including community groups, charitable trusts, individuals, local companies, corporate sponsorship, and the statutory sector.
- Proven ability to develop excellent relationships with funders and experience of networking with funders and stakeholders at a senior level.
- Financial management expertise.
- Excellent communication skills across all levels, both written and verbal, including presentation skills.
- Ability to work with and communicate effectively with people with learning disabilities using a variety of methods and promoting the rights of people with LDs.
- Ability to carry out prospect research and present relevant findings in a clear manner.
- Good strategic, financial, and business planning skills.
- Experience of managing people and resources.
- Ability to work sensitively and constructively with the CEO and SMT members on fundraising and service development initiatives.
- Ability to work on own initiative, remotely or from the office.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with colleagues across the organisation and partner organisations.
- Knowledge of IT and Digital Service Provision.
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with safeguarding procedures.
- Commitment to Elfrida’s purpose and values including equality and social inclusion.
- Experience of applying digital marketing techniques and channels in a fundraising environment
- Experience in organising successful fundraising events.
- Experience of developing service specifications, SLAs and negotiating tenders
- Experience of leadership and/or service delivery within the learning disabilities sector
The appointment is subject to an enhanced DBS check and suitable references.