RAND Europe is seeking an experienced development/fundraising professional to build and lead our new development function. This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to make a significant contribution to an organisation committed to using data and evidence to help advance policy for the wider public good. You will work with senior colleagues in Europe and development colleagues in the US as well as our wide network of stakeholders to build sustainable income for the organisation. Although this will be RAND Europe’s first Director of Development, we have invested in prospect research and campaign readiness with professional external counsel. This enables the successful candidate to start from a firm foundation.
Reporting to: President (Chief Executive), RAND Europe
Job Role: Build RAND Europe’s development function, to help drive positive societal impact through donations from individuals, foundations and trusts, and legacies.
Core Attributes: The successful candidate will be a fundraiser with expertise across a wide variety of fundraising sources that matches RAND Europe’s ambitions. A strong commitment to our mission—using research and analysis to help improve policy and decision-making—is essential, as is a mindset of cultivating close and attentive relationships with supporters. We are looking for a collaborative colleague who will engage the whole RAND community as RAND Europe’s new endeavour takes shape.
About RAND Europe: RAND Europe, with offices in Cambridge UK and Brussels, is an independent subsidiary of the US-based RAND Corporation. We share a mission to help improve policy and decision making through research and analysis. Our work lies on the spectrum between that of universities and consultancies, combining academic rigour with a professional, impact-oriented approach. In other words, we operate as a research-focused business, using a professional services model, within a mission of sustaining the public good.
We combine deep subject knowledge across many policy areas – including health, science, innovation, defence and security, transport, infrastructure, criminal justice, education, employment and social policy – with proven methodological expertise in evaluation, futures thinking and choice modelling. Our clients include European governments and institutions, charities, foundations, universities and private sector firms.
- You believe in the ability of rigorous research and analysis to make a positive contribution to solve today’s most pressing challenges.
- You are an experienced fundraiser, with a successful track record of helping not-for-profit organisations to attract and grow income and funding from a wide range of public and private sources.
- You are entrepreneurial and ambitious but practical in your approach to fundraising and appreciate the balance of skills and requirements that this discipline requires.
- You are a proactive networker and collaborator across diverse stakeholder groups, including those within the organisation, to realise the importance each plays in fulfilling RAND’s mission.
- You feel confident representing the organisation to a variety of stakeholders and creating bespoke cases for support for specific audiences.
- You are an excellent communicator - able to identify and build effective narratives of RAND’s impact to inspire and motivate engagement.
- You have experience in fundraising campaigns with an overall goal of eight-figures or higher.
Experience and Knowledge
Proven experience of securing significant funding from a variety of sources, including high net worth individuals, corporates, trusts, and foundations
Track record of successful cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors for campaigns of £250,000+
Track record of designing and implementing development strategies, including revenue and capital fundraising activities
Experience of budget development and management, and an understanding of accounting for gifts and pledges
Experience managing and executing fundraising events
Proven ability to manage and grow a list of active and significant donors
In-depth understanding of the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), the Fundraising Regulator’s Code of Practice, and applicable UK tax law
Experience of fundraising for social impact and research-focused organisations
Experience of working with high net worth individuals and senior organisational decision-makers
Strong networks and relationships with philanthropists, trust and foundations, and private sector donors
Skills and Attributes
Ability to inspire and motivate colleagues to create an effective and efficient team focused on successful income generating initiatives
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to engage a wide range of people
High attention to detail, particularly regarding written work, budget and event planning
Excellent influencing, negotiation, and diplomacy skills
Ability to think and operate strategically and provide flexible solutions
Able to deliver to demanding deadlines and with a hands-on approach
Good IT skills including constituent management systems, such as Salesforce
Ability to self-motivate, work as part of a small team, and support colleagues
Confident, resilient, and resourceful
A commitment to excellence and professionalism
Appreciation of and support for the mission and values of RAND Europe
- Leading and managing development activity across the organisation, working with senior colleagues to develop and steward effective relationships with funders, donors, partners and clients in a proactive and systematic manner.
- Leading in delivering new fundraising and projects, including time-bound campaigns and new creative initiatives to grow income sustainably and ensure that the organisation follows appropriate internal and external applications and reporting timeframes and processes.
- Be personally accountable for successful generation of major income to support programmes and the delivery of the ongoing strategy, agreeing on fundraising targets with RAND leadership and regularly reporting on progress.
- Developing and maintaining RAND’s relationships with European funders, including major donors, trusts and foundations, corporate partners, and statutory bodies.
- Ensuring accurate and appropriate screening and validation of supporters, sponsors, and partners.
- Ensuring excellent donor communication and stewardship.
- Representing RAND Europe at external events and networking opportunities, developing existing and new donor relationships.
- Setting and achieving fundraising targets, showing year on year growth in activity and results.
- Motivating RAND colleagues at all levels to be active partners in developing cases, cultivating prospects, and inspiring contributions.
- Building from a single-person operation, to a larger core development team as staffing needs evolve
- Ensuring excellent external and internal fundraising-related correspondence and documentation, such as reports, briefings, applications, presentations, or other collateral items.
- Collaborating with US-based colleagues to adapt existing fundraising systems for use in identifying, assessing, and tracking relevant opportunities.
- Developing and managing effective fundraising policies and best practices.
- Ensuring income generation activity is produced, filed, and archived in a systematic and efficient way, for all research, contracts, reports, and other records relating to fundraising.
- Managing development budgets and other related resources.
- Carrying out other duties as deemed appropriate by the RAND Europe President.
8% Employer contribution pension
BUPA medical insurance
Group life assurance
Employee Assistance scheme
Enhanced holiday allowance
Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
Fresh fruit every day
Cycle to work scheme
Employee wellbeing initiatives.
How to Apply:
Please submit an application via RAND Europe's online careers portal comprising of a CV and covering letter - this must be submitted as one document.
Please submit any applications by close of business on Monday 5th October 2020.
Interviews will be held in late October.