We’re delighted to announce an exciting opportunity to lead Animal Aid’s Campaigns Team. As the Head of Campaigns, you will be responsible for leading Animal Aid’s ground-breaking and influential campaigns work. This spans a wide range of areas, including influencing policy, inspiring positive behaviour-change, working with the media and overseeing investigative work. You will be responsible for line-managing a team of five campaigners and our Campaigns Assistant, as well as getting involved in day-to-day work to deliver effective campaigns. A key part of your role will be to lead on developing strategy, monitoring progress and evaluating the success of campaigns.
The Head of Campaigns will be required to work at our Tonbridge office in future, though the role may initially be home-working, in light of Covid-19.
To apply: Please send a CV and cover letter explaining how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the role. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 8th October 2020
- A proven track record of planning and delivering successful campaigns to influence policy, with at least five years’ experience in a similar role.
- Good experience of using digital campaigning to bring about positive change.
- Substantial experience in working with the media, including proactively securing coverage, providing comments and taking part in broadcast interviews.
- At least five years’ experience of line-managing staff, with a supportive approach that ensures high-quality work is consistently delivered.
- Thorough understanding of strategic leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to produce persuasive written content.
- Excellent negotiating and relationship building skills, with strong experience of influencing senior decision-makers
- Thorough knowledge of key animal rights issues, with the ability to remain constantly up-to-date with key developments
- Highly organised, with the ability to plan and prioritise effectively.
- Evidence of effective project management, planning and management of resources, including finance.
- Able to identify and manage risk.
- Ability to work effectively in a team, including collaborating with colleagues in other departments on shared projects.
- Good knowledge of legal issues that are relevant to Campaigns work such as data protection and libel.
- Strong IT skills and familiarity with communications, advocacy and Customer Relations Management software.
Animal Aid is an equal opportunities employer, and we welcome applications from all candidates who have the required skills and experience, regardless of gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, religion or age
JOB DESCRIPTION: HEAD OF CAMPAIGNS
- To oversee the work of the Campaigns Department, including investigations work, engagement with policy makers, work with the media and producing printed and digital resources.
- To be responsible for the strategic planning of campaigns. This includes leading the development of strategic plans, setting targets and carrying out thorough monitoring and evaluation to ensure that maximum impact is being achieved.
- To line-manage the four Campaigns Managers, the Campaigns Officer and the Campaigns Assistant. This will include providing support, evaluating performance and ensuring that opportunities for professional development are provided.
- To undertake research and play the leading role in the written output of the Society across a range of subject areas. This output includes special reports, investigations, press releases, articles and other key documents. To approve final versions of written reports and documents.
- To represent the Society in a variety of forums, including meeting with, and giving presentations to, disparate groups such as Parliamentarians, business representatives, civil servants, college students and Animal Aid’s supporters.
- To initiate and undertake press, radio and TV interviews and to take part in debates.
- To keep up to date with developments in the field of Campaigns, such as new tools for digital advocacy.
- To develop policies on emerging campaign issues, in consultation with the Director(s). To determine whether new initiatives, such as coalition campaigns led by other organisations, are in line with Animal Aid’s ethos.
- To oversee the legal and administrative aspects of Animal Aid’s Campaign work, such as arranging licences for media monitoring and seeking legal advice where required.
- To campaign with integrity on a factual basis and to the highest standard, with a commitment to advance the cause of animals that is commensurate with their needs. These values are central to the Society’s ethos. Animal Aid is held in high regard by animal advocates and many professional bodies and individuals, including those in media and politics. The Head of Campaigns must maintain this reputation by embodying the Society’s ethos at all times.
Whilst this position is mainly office based, attendance will be expected at certain events (e.g. meetings, media interviews, exhibitions). Time in lieu will be given as appropriate.