Can you help us spread the word about innovative practice in health and care?
Health and care systems around the world are facing an unprecedented challenge. Even before the emergence of COVID-19, increasing demand on health and care services required us to rethink how we help people to stay healthy and support them to manage health conditions.
The South West has been stepping up to that challenge – and with an ageing population spread over three large counties, with considerable variation in life expectancy, it’s a significant one. Nearly a quarter of people living across Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly are aged 65 and over and, despite numerous thriving communities, the region includes some of the most deprived areas in the country.
What’s clear is that tackling this challenge will require us to innovate, improve and evolve how we deliver health and care services. That’s where we come in. Established by NHS England in 2013 as one of fifteen Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs), we help heath and care partners across the South West to develop and spread innovative practice.
Our existing programme portfolio is broad. Current commissions include programmes to spread proven innovation in partnership with NHS England, improve patient safety through our commission with NHS Improvement, and to support the uptake of innovation from the life science sector in the health and care system with the Office for Life Sciences.
Working across an ambitious, forward-thinking organisation, you will develop impactful communications that inform, inspire and connect our staff, stakeholders and external audiences.
The Communications Manager will ensure high- quality and timely delivery of communications projects across the organisation.
You will advise and support colleagues on all aspects of brand, content, design, media and digital communications. With line management of a Digital Marketing Assistant (Apprentice), you will also manage relationships with external consultants, agencies and suppliers to create strategic, content-led internal and external communications.
Key success factors
- Able to use a variety of methods and combine data with patient stories to clearly demonstrate the impact of our work and its outcomes for people receiving health and care.
- Able to see the bigger picture and demonstrate the benefits of the SW AHSN’s work with its many partners.
- Comfortable with change and uncertainty in a fast-paced setting.
- A proactive, solutions-focused completer- finisher, with a can-do attitude.
- Enabling direct reports to make the most of their skills and develop their capabilities.
- Generate impactful communications aligned with the organisation’s strategy, business plan, and communications strategy and plan.
- Developing a content-based approach to stakeholder communications.
- Maintaining a high profile for the organisation on traditional and social media.
- Managing improvements to our existing communications channels, including the monthly stakeholder e-newsletter, website, and internal weekly staff update.
- Co-producing communications with delivery teams for programmes and projects across the organisation.
- Liaise with colleagues across the AHSN Network, supporting national communications projects and working collaboratively co-produce messaging and materials as appropriate.
- Line managing our Digital Marketing Assistant (Apprentice) and supporting them through the apprenticeship scheme.
- Managing relationships with consultants and external suppliers.
- Engaging and facilitating the SW AHSN’s internal Communications Working Group to encourage employee ownership and voice in the development of internal and external communications.
- Providing communications management for SW AHSN events such as conferences, seminars, workshops and exhibitions.
- Triaging communications requests, responding to media enquiries and proactively utilising the media for increased impact where appropriate.
Experience we are looking for
- Experience of working in corporate and strategic communications settings, producing a portfolio of targeted marketing and communications assets to support organisational strategy.
- A strong copywriting background, with an excellent eye for detail and ability to create engaging content for different channels and audiences.
- Working knowledge of proactive relationship management, membership or stakeholder engagement.
- A track record in a busy environment, working to tight deadlines and having the resilience to cope with changing business demands.
- Experience of line management, and managing supplier and consultant relationships.
- A high level of computer skills, including experience of relevant online platforms, such as Twitter, LinkedIn, WordPress and MailChimp.