Islamic Relief Worldwide
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK)
Head of Marketing
BASE LOCATION: London, UK
REPORTING TO: UK Director
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
4 Direct reports
Digital Engagement Manager
Marketing Manager (Offline)
Digital Marketing Manager
(Total department staff: 9)
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development agency striving to alleviate poverty and suffering around the world regardless of colour, race or religion. Established in 1984 in response to the widespread famine in Africa, Islamic Relief has grown to be a key, well known and respected aid agency in disaster relief and the ongoing development of people in over 25 countries. It specialises in Education & Training, Health and Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Income Generation, Orphans’ Support, Emergency Relief and Disaster Preparedness. Islamic Relief is a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and is an implementing partner for DFID, ECHO, the World Food Programme and UNHCR.
PURPOSE OF DIVISION (IRUK)
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK) is a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) that is part of Islamic Relief Worldwide. IRUK’s focus is strengthening effective funding, mobilising for change through advocacy and awareness-raising, and strengthening programme development and delivery. IRUK works with various partners and institutions, from governments, non-governmental organisations and local authorities to grassroots communities.
PURPOSE OF DEPARTMENT (MARKETING):
The Marketing Department will liaise with key stakeholders to ensure IRUK campaigns and products are effectively promoted to its targeted audiences through intergrated and creative marketing and fundraising techniques.
The department seeks to raise awareness, funds and understanding of IRUK, grow influence, drive action and ultimately bring key audiences closer to our purpose.
Working with the UK Senior Management Team (UK SMT), the Head of Marketing has strategic and operational responsibility for all aspects of marketing and brand management for Islamic Relief UK.
The Head of Marketing will have overall responsibility for the quality, consistency and strategic direction of our Marketing services. This will involve the delivery of cross-channel, high profile impactful marketing campaigns that drive action and engagement with IRUK.
This role will understand emerging trends in marketing, and work to understand how these innovations can be applied to the organisation’s context.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
• UK Director
• Heads of Department and Managers
• Creative agency
• Regular contact with IRW Directors and Department Managers
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role:
• Lead the development and implementation of the marketing strategy with plans and activities to raise brand awareness including the adoption of IRUK’s brand and values across the organisation and to deliver impactful fundraising and advocacy campaigns.
• Provide effective leadership and build strong working relationships with departments across the organisation to ensure integrated marketing plans are developed and implemented to achieve maximum impact with external audiences.
• Play a key role as a member of the UK SMT in developing IRUK’s strategic priorities and implement plans to raise awareness of the Organisation’s activities and their impact.
• Provide effective leadership for team members delivering marketing activities, ensure digital marketing and branding plans are in place and act as an inspiring role model at all times.
Responsibility for Resources:
Manages the Marketing Department budget, operating within the budgetary limits of the Department, and in accordance with IR policies/processes. Overall responsibility for all technical equipment within the Marketing department..
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling their roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of their colleagues and staff. The following are the main responsibilities that the role holder will be accountable for:
1. Developing and implementing the Marketing strategy, related plans and brand management to ensure campaigns achieve maximum impact
• Identifies and prioritises the marketing needs within IRUK in line with strategic priorities and campaigns.
• Lead the development and delivery of the marketing strategy to raise IRUK’s profile, funds and improve understanding of our work with key external audiences including potential beneficiaries, donors, supporters and other stakeholders.
• Develop and implement supporter journeys across direct marketing channels.
• Assist in the development and annual review of IRUK’s marketing strategy to ensure it is fit for purpose to support IRUK in its work.
• Develop and implement plans to provide advice, support and resource materials to assist stakeholders in the marketing and positioning of their activities.
• Work with internal stakeholders to plan content for all major campaigns and areas of work.
• Ensure that strategies, campaigns and activities across all departments optimise the way IRUK is viewed by the public and external stakeholders, and ensuring that our purpose and impact is relevant and understood across all owned, earned and paid channels.
• Work collaboratively with Islamic Relief Worldwide to maximise our brand’s ability to enable positive emotional connections with our audiences in a way that drives long-term engagement.
• Provide strategic input to cross-organisational projects and seek to identify steps to accelerate progress and maximise the impact of IRUK’s campaigns activities.
• To offer senior level marketing expertise to relevant stakeholders at IRUK.
• Overall responsibility for the content and appearance of all print and digital materials to ensure consistency with the brand and brand values (consulting stakeholders where appropriate).
• Work with the Head of Comms and Creative Content on editorial direction, design and production and distribution of publications.
• Work with the Head of Comms and Creative Content to produce copy and design of all marketing content both online and offline ensuring they are high quality, up to date and align with relevant policies.
2. Management of the Marketing Department developing and implementing strategies/workplans and Key Performance Indicators
• Responsible for the provision of an effective Marketing department to deliver accurate and timely work. Provide support and guidance where required.
• Keep the marketing department’s work plan under review to ensure congruence with a developing and changing organisation.
• To be accountable for setting and achieving annual Marketing KPI targets, and for contributing to broader departmental, divisional and organisational KPIs as agreed with the UK Director.
• Analyse and report against the KPIs and create action plans to address any areas of concern/risk.
• Ensure the use of KPIs/metrics to evaluate the impact of marketing services and initiatives – ensure they are understood, valued and adopted across the department.
• Support the Marketing Manager (offline) to provide best practice expertise and support across offline and direct marketing channels and techiques.
• Support the Digital Marketing Manager to provide best practice expertise and support across digital marketing channels and techiques.
• Play an active role with senior colleagues to ensure IRUK meets the compliance requirements of the regulatory bodies and also provide formal reports and advice as necessary to the UK Director to enable the fulfilment of their responsibilities.
• Manage the Marketing budget and participate in forecasting and budget setting processes and reviews to ensure effective use of resources for advertising and marketing campaigns.
• Working with the Heads of Fundraising and Comms and Creative Content to ensure donor journeys are effectively implemented across all marketing channels.
3. Support fundraising and income generation with an effective digital strategy and digitial marketing plans
• Oversee the development of a digital strategy and integrated digital marketing plans to enhance our reach and engagement with targeted external audiences.
• Responsibile for the content, editorial policy and quality control of IRUK’s website and and social media channels to maximise opportunities to reach and engage with new and existing supporters/donors and raise funds.
• Inspires and mentors creative excellence in the immediate team and any external providers so that creative output is on brief, on brand, and supports Islamic Relief’s cause.
• Ensure that IRUK’s digital marketing strategy is maximising on digital opportunities available, keeping fully informed of the latest digital marketing trends, tools and innovations.
4. Development and growth
• To lead on the creation and development of key building blocks, processes, systems and guidelines for the Marketing department to deliver effective and sustainable growth and high-quality materials, consistent with Islamic Relief’s brand, across all departments.
• To future-proof IRUK by building a network of external contacts, undertaking regular competitor analysis and sector research, investigating ways to improve effectiveness, seizing opportunities, anticipating risks and encouraging innovation and improvements.
• To build, develop and manage strategic partnerships with business suppliers ensuring cost-effective service, clear compliance and commitment to IRUK’s values/goals.
• Oversee and advise on the quality of marketing materials IRUK’s delivers – in creativity and by technological platforms.
• Review and audit IRUK’s existing marketing materials, developing roadmaps for future improvements.
• Ensure maximum return on investment from marketing budgets.
5. Provide effective leadership, motivation and development of the Marketing Department and act as an inspiring role model
• Provide on-going expertise and quality checking of IRUK’s marketing materials involving other stakeholders at every possible opportunity.
• Lead by example to create an effective and motivated marketing department which delivers strong customer service ethics and in partnership with all aspects of IRUK.
• Carry out regular one to one meetings with direct reports.
• Ensure that the annual performance review process is managed within IRUK’s policies, processes and timelines, agreeing objectives and training needs for team members.
• Address and manage effectively any areas of underperformance, within IRUK’s policies and procedures.
• Regularly review the performance of individuals and teams, providing advice, support, coaching/mentoring/learning and development as appropriate.
• Develop and lead all aspects of work of the Marketing department including budgetary management.
6. Deliver a full and comprehensive role as a Head of Department
• Identify and influence key decision makers and capitalise on opportunities to maximise IRUK’s reach within the marketing context.
• Have a positive impact internally and externally – with the people and communities that IRUK works with and for.
• Undertake corporate assignments as required by the UK Director.
• Work and lead collaboratively as part of the UK SMT and in the spirit of IRUK’s values.
• Support UK SMT colleagues in resolving significant operational issues.
• Attend UK SMT meetings to update colleagues on Marketing and other key strategic matters, as outlined above, and to support the UK Director.
• Communicate the work of IRUK positively both internally and externally.
• Represent IRUK with both internal and external audiences.
• Identify new, creative and innovative solutions as well as practical approaches to organisational issues.
• Responsible for decisions regarding the interpretation of brand guidelines and working with the Head of Comms & Creative Content to set the creative standards of content produced by and for IRUK.
• By virtue to being a member of the UK SMT, contribute to IRUK’s decision-making process.
• Represent IRUK at key external events and initiatives when required.
• Promote Islamic Relief’s vision, mission and values.
• To work closely with the Media and Advocacy teams in the Comms & Creative department to ensure that opportunities in these areas are maximised in an integrated manner and that public communication by these teams supports the overall marketing strategy.
• To ensure that all marketing activities adhere to charity law, compliance/best practice, including in the area of data protection, marketing consent and vulnerability.
• Build strategic relationships peers from third sector and other organisations where relevant, ensuring quality outputs, evaluation and value for money across all activities.
• Research marketing and branding trends and innovations with a view to improving IRUK’s marketing work.
• Take a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
• Be flexible within the broad remit of the post.
• Comply with organisational policies and practices.
• Encourage effective cross departmental working through personal example.
• Keep professional knowledge and expertise up to date.
• Attend internal and external meetings as required and contribute positively.
• Undertake any other duties commensurate with this post as reasonably requested by the UK Director.
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IRW’s vision and mission.
• Substantial experience operating at a senior level in an INGO/Charity sector to develop successful integrated marketing strategies and plans
• Proven experience of leading insight-driven, multichannel marketing campaigns and delivering on large scale campaigns
• Experience of working within a diverse, multidisciplinary team
• Practical experience of successfully developing and managing marketing budgets, KPIs, evaluation and monitoring systems, and insightful performance reports
• Extensive experience using audience, consumer and/or data insight and research to drive brand and marketing planning
• Experience of capitalising on digital and social media channels, technologies and platforms to cost-effectively grow and develop supporter bases
• Proven experience in planning and project management, with the skills to engage colleagues and support at all levels
• Experience of working with data management/analysis teams, and related CRM systems, to optimise data and data capture opportunities to help drive growth
• Experience of building, developing and managing strategic partnerships with business suppliers (including creative and buying agencies), ensuring development of clear briefs, value-for-money, achievement of results, compliance and commitment to an organisations values and goals
• Demonstrable experience of successfully leading teams with responsibility for effective performance management and motivation
• Solid experience of stakeholder management.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Ability to enthuse and motivate a team during a period of change
• Ability to work in partnership with other teams but with the presence to introduce innovation
• Ability to create and deliver impactful audience focussed content
• Authentic and trusted leadership style
• Highly motivated, positive and solution focussed
• Ability to apply creative thinking and problem solving skills to deliver innovation
• Ability to manage high level projects, from inception to successful conclusion
• A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
• Strong influencing skills, with the ability to negotiate agreement on expectations and outcomes in a busy environment, with changing priorities
• Ability to think laterally and creatively
• Initiates collaborative working in a diplomatic manner
• Clear understanding of confidentiality
• Excellent planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple projects with overlapping milestones
• A strong working knowledge of a wide range of digital and social media technologies, platforms and marketing
• Senior level understanding of current marketing trends
• Knowledge and understanding of the current marketing context for Islamic Relief
• Strong understanding of international development and humanitarian work
• Working knowledge of Macromedia Creative Suite
• Self-sufficient in production of documentation etc, with the use of Microsoft Office, and other relevant IT packages as appropriate
• Educated to degree level, or to have equivalent relevant experience
• Suitable accredited marketing qualification such as CIM Certificate in Marketing
• A good knowledge of general data protection regulation legislation and evidence of developing policies to ensure compliance and best practice.
• Membership(s) of the Institute of Direct Marketing or equivalent professional organisation.
• Strong motivation for and empathy with the aims and objectives of Islamic Relief
• A genuine passion for making a difference
• Understanding of and affinity with Islamic Relief values
• Confident and positive approach to work.
• Willingness to travel and work outside of normal office hours when necessary – particularly during emergency campaigns.