Contract Type: Maternity Cover Upto 52 weeks
Hours: Full Time
Salary: £48,061 + £3000 London Weighting
Closing Date: Monday 27th July 2020
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW), one of the UK’s leading international development agencies working in more than 40 countries, is currently recruiting for the position of an International External Relations Coordinator.
The Head of Media and External Relations (HMER) is responsible for leading on impactful media work that supports the wider divisional organisational strategies and priorities. The role will entail strengthening IRW’s global external relations function in collaboration with key stakeholders and leading partner offices in Europe, North America and the Middle East, as well as the ERA divisional advocacy team.
The role will involve working closely with the External Relations and Advocacy Director, as well as the Head of Governance and the Senior Communications Advisor, to protect and build Islamic Relief’s profile and reputation internationally. It will also involve externally building and supporting effective relationships with influential contacts among international policy makers, the media, INGOs, institutional funders, business leaders and other key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will build the profile of Islamic Relief Worldwide through media and social media across the world promoting its work, communicating its perspective and priorities, building productive relationships, increasing accountability and engagement, and extending influence.
Islamic Relief Worldwide works in many of the world’s most conflict and disaster-prone countries such as Yemen, Syria and Indonesia to provide humanitarian aid and development assistance to millions of people regardless of race, religion, nationality, political affiliation or gender.
The successful candidate must have or be:
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and representational skills.
- Extensive knowledge of international media and of media needs and trends.
- Able to write engagingly and persuasively for a variety of external audiences.
- Good understanding of international advocacy, government affairs and political sensitivities as well as strong knowledge and understanding of the charity and international NGO/humanitarian sectors including current trends, challenges, opportunities and networks.
- Significant experience of leading and managing media relations and social media engagement for a high-profile organisation including crisis management
- Significant experience of representing organisations externally and advocating on their behalf – as a speaker/spokesperson/networker/campaigner and experience of external engagement through summits, conferences and other events.
- Significant experience of campaigns development and advocacy through the media and/or other campaigning activities.
If you are talented, reliable, service minded, resilient and a highly motivated professional looking for a meaningful career, with a strong commitment to IRW’s values and mission, please apply by completing our online application form.
The oranisation is open to the role being based in Birmingham or London. If the role is based in London there will be a £3,000 London weighting allowance in addition to the salary.
Any employment with Islamic Relief will be subject to the following checks:
- screening clearance
- proof of eligibility to live and work within the UK
- receipt of satisfactory references
Please note, for UK based roles, we are only able to accept applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the UK. We are unable to progress applications which would require sponsorship.
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants should be sympathetic to the values of Islamic Relief
(Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice and Custodianship)
Islamic Relief is an equal opportunities employer