Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
A fixed 3-year contract subject to continued funding
Annual salary – £30,000 to £34,000
Full time – 35 hours per week
The post holder will be expected to be flexible and be available for occasional evening and weekend work for which time in lieu can be claimed. Due to the nature of the role, there is an expectation for the role holder to be primarily office and centre based.
Yarl’s Wood Befrienders (YWB) support women detained at Yarl’s Wood Immigration Removal Centre (YWIRC). We are looking for an individual to take on the role of CEO for a fixed-term contract of 3 years, subject to funding.
The CEO plans ways to develop the charity’s services, generate income and raise awareness of its work. The CEO is also responsible with the Board for setting and maintaining the tone, vision and culture of the organisation in a collaborative working environment.
As the organisation’s CEO, you will lead the organisation with the board of trustees, working closely with members of staff, trustees and volunteers to provide a high standard of service to our beneficiaries. You will ensure our services are accessible to all beneficiaries in accordance with our mission statement to meet their emotional and practical needs. You will ensure the charity complies with its legal obligations to the Charities Commission. You will manage staff and volunteers of the charity as well as managing the office on a day-to-day basis, including staff hours and holidays.
The principal responsibilities of the role are:
Provide clear leadership, direction and management for the Charity, its aims, its beneficiaries, its employees and volunteers
- Provide leadership, direction, support and motivation to all employees and volunteers
- Produce timely annual business / operational plans which reflect the agreed strategy
- Produce timely reports for the trustees and other stakeholders
- Develop, agree and implement practical steps for implementing business and operational plans
- Provide regular updates to trustees on developments in achieving each of the strategic objectives
- Ensure that all core business decisions are in line with the strategic objectives
- Ensure all employees are set annual objectives in line with the business and operational plans, which are reviewed regularly
- Ensure all employees have one formal written appraisal and an interim verbal appraisal every year, which must be documented
- Ensure all activities are documented on the organisation‘s Human Resource (HR) management software
- Work with the organisation’s outsourced HR & legal advice teams
- Ensure, with the trustees, that the organisation is appropriately funded
- Ensure that the organisation’s funding and finance processes and protocols are followed and that the organisation is appropriately and ethically managed
Representation of YWB
- Raise the profile of both YWIRC and YWB in the local community
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the organisation’s image both to beneficiaries and the public
- Ensure that all media output, including online and in print, is of the highest quality and reflects YWB’s values, strategic direction and activities
- In conjunction with our press officer, represent the organisation in all types of media
- Ensure that there is appropriate representation of YWB at public events
- Ensure that YWB is represented in the wider context of immigration and detention through forums and stakeholder meetings
- Establish and maintain YWB’s ongoing collaborative relationships with centre management and key workers at YWIRC
Policies and Procedures
- Ensure that all necessary and desirable policies are in place, implemented and reviewed regularly, having been agreed with our outsourcing partner
- Develop and implement processes and procedures which maximise the organisation’s ability to deliver the best possible service to our beneficiaries in the most cost effective and efficient ways
- Ensure General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance in all aspects of the organisation’s activities
Fundraising and Partnership working
- Maintain and develop working relationships with key stakeholders e.g. Centre management and staff, IMB, Home Office, and healthcare, well-being providers, donors and YWB volunteers
- Source and build partnership opportunities that will support YWB to meet its strategic objectives
- Provide leadership and support in developing and delivering a multi-stream funding strategy
Staff management, support and deployment
- Ensure that all staff members and volunteers are managed, motivated, supported and appropriately deployed
You will be based in our office in the CVS Building in Bedford, and spend time in YWIRC. The role is subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, as well as a Home Office security check.
You will need to meet the following criteria to apply:
- Degree in a relevant subject or equivalent level qualification or experience of working at a similar level in a specialist area
- Direct involvement in the development of strategy, business plans and organisational policies
- Sound financial knowledge, including experience of managing and controlling budgets/resources/funding/audit and an understanding of financial management procedures
- A minimum of 3 years’ staff management experience, including personal development and objective setting
- Experience of working with and managing volunteers
- Proven ability to be self-motivated and work under one’s own initiative
- Concern for all people held in detention
- Committed and possessing the ability to inspire and motivate others
- The ability to work as part of a team and to develop and build good working relationships with all stakeholders and partners
- Excellent organisational, written and verbal communication skills
- A minimum of 3 years’ organisational and team management experience.
- The ability to network and communicate with a wide range of personnel and stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure, managing competing priorities and ensuring deadlines are met
- Ability to operate successfully in a politically and/or operationally sensitive environment
- Good organisational, administrative and time-management skills
- Computer literacy in dealing with standard MS Office packages, including spreadsheets and databases
Apply in writing enclosing a CV and covering letter of no more than two A4 pages, showing how you meet the requirements of the role by using the Apply section below.
Closing date:. 5th December 2019
First round of interviews for successful candidates will take place 11th December 2019
Please refer to role profile attached below for further information on the role.
Apply for Chief Executive Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly