November - March 2020
As a journalist in the story hub you will play a key role in helping Comic Relief tell powerful stories about the projects that we support, and the people who benefit directly from the work we fund. You will work across multiple departments within the organisation, responding to their requests for content and obtaining consent from beneficiaries. You will help source and then manage a bank of stories.
- Manage a bank of case studies that can be used across the organisation to tell the story of how Comic Relief-funded projects are improving people’s lives
- Ability and willingness to travel around the UK to source strong stories from projects which represent the importance of the work we fund.
- Finding strong stories from projects we fund, conducting interviews (in person and on the phone) and writing these into powerful narratives
- Work with the BBC ahead of shoots and on location to deliver on message, creative films for BBC regional outlets
- Working with our social team help to create visual content that is innovative and culturally relevant to fit with CR’s vision
- Hosting filmmakers, other journalists and photographers at projects with responsibility both for quality of creative output and leading on the safeguarding of the organisation and individual
- Work closely with investment managers, the media team, the corporate and fundraising team on a day-to-day basis to ensure that cross-organisational needs for content and stories are being met on deadline
- Ensure the welfare and safeguarding of the case studies is at the heart of the job and informed consent and appropriate follow up support is provided for all projects and project beneficiaries
- Play a proactive role in helping the organisation to develop new, fresh and innovative ways of storytelling
Essential Education and Competencies:
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent writing ability and proven track record of finding powerful real-life stories
- A skilled researcher with experience of working with data with speed and accuracy
- Adept at producing work for a wide range of multimedia outlets and audiences
- Experience working for charities preferable
- Collaborative worker – able to work closely with all teams, communicate effectively and manage competing demands
- Demonstrable experience of being able to meet deadlines
- Strong organisational skills, the ability to multi-task and excellent attention to detail are critical
- Experience dealing with complex real-life stories and knowledge of safeguarding and/or consent issues
- Resilient – with the ability to stay the course during the height of delivery
Comic Relief positively welcomes, and seeks to ensure we achieve, diversity in our workforce and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or nationality. We encourage applications from disabled people and we will guarantee a first stage interview to all disabled applicants who sufficiently demonstrate in their application how they meet the essential criteria for the job as outlined on the person specification of the job description.
Registered charity 326568