UK Independent Assessors
UK Independent Assessors
£46 per hour + reasonable expenses
Home Based All UK regions and Nations
We are recruiting to our pool of independent UK assessors.
Our freelance assessors are an important part of our approach to understanding and investing in a broad range of charitable organisations across the UK and work alongside the core Comic Relief team providing independent insight and capacity for assessment and shortlisting of funding applications.
Assessors are responsible for understanding the current and proposed work of applicants, their governance, financial health, safeguarding and strategy and make recommendations about suitable organisations for investment. Assessments directly contribute to the final decision-making process at Comic Relief.
We are particularly interested in assessors from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and those based in the North East of England, Yorkshire & Humber, Scotland and Wales however applicants from all Nations, Regions and backgrounds are welcome. We also welcome applications from those with lived or professional experience relating to any areas of our Social Change strategy.
Assessors are paid at an hourly rate of £46.00 for shortlisting, assessments and training related to these areas. Reasonable associated expenses are also covered.
Applicants will need to demonstrate:
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experience of working in the voluntary sector, either paid or unpaid, or within local Government in a position which has involved liaison with the voluntary sector.
- Experience of assessing grant applications of various sizes and complexity and good analytical skills.
- To be based in the UK and to ideally live in, and have detailed knowledge of, any issues affecting your particular region / geographical area and / or knowledge of areas and issues tackled through our Social Change strategy
- To be willing to travel to other areas of the UK to undertake assessments
- General knowledge of the voluntary sector in the UK and a working knowledge of the structures and decision-making process of statutory authorities and other regional / national funders
- Ability to write detailed reports clearly and concisely, providing analysis of strengths and weaknesses of proposals and applicant organisations and a judgement on these
- Ability to use information and communication technology, including word processing, email and Comic Relief’s bespoke online assessment system (training is provided)
- Ability to analyse and make judgements based on audited and management accounts, project budgets and other financial data
- An understanding of safeguarding, inclusion, diversity and participation as it relates to organisations and assessment.
- A commitment to Comic Relief’s values of promoting social justice and tackling the effects and root causes of poverty in the UK
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of Comic Relief’s current Social Change strategy.
- Lived or professional experience and knowledge of one or more of our social change priorities and approaches; Gender Justice, Safe Place to Be, Mental Health Matters, Children Survive and Thrive, Sport for Change and Social Tech
To apply to become one of our freelance assessors please submit an up to date CV and cover letter explaining your interest in and suitability for this role to Claire Langford via the link.
Deadline for applications is 12 noon 30th October and we anticipate holding interviews w/c 9th December 2019.