About Build It International: We are a development NGO that has pioneered a simple and highly effective model that is enabling hundreds of unemployed young people in Zambia to learn essential building skills whilst building vital schools and clinics.
Our organisational values are Excellence, Empowerment, Collaboration and Courage.
We have a team of 30 staff across the Shrewsbury and Lusaka offices including at our flagship Centre for Excellence training centre.
Our work is financed by individual supporters, grants and a major corporate partnership. Since 2018 we have also received funding from institutional donors. We pride ourselves on providing a high quality supporter stewardship service.
About the role: This is a new senior leadership position reflecting the growth and ambition of the charity. You will deputise for and report to the CEO, and will lead a number of core functions to ensure continued growth and performance improvement. Taking overall responsibility for fundraising, you will also oversee our strategy implementation including leading on organisational development. We anticipate increasing responsibility as the role establishes itself, with a possible career path to CEO in the medium term.
- Overall responsibility for income across the organisation (currently £1.36m)
- Line manage senior fundraisers
- Establish own portfolio of major donors / funding partnerships
- Co-ordinate reviews of our fundraising strategy
- Provide information and guidance to the fundraising team to enable them to generate and manage funding opportunities especially major grants
- Oversee delivery of Strategy Implementation Plan (2018-2021)
- Drive ‘one-organisation’ initiatives; including internal communications and policy development / implementation
- Support the CEO to facilitate new technical support partnerships
- Provide guidance and practical support to the Zambia Country Director in delivering agreed programme objectives, for example senior appointments, project selection, annual reviews
- Contribute to programme strategy
Key Relationships (internal and external)
- Other SMT members
- Line management of senior fundraisers
- Key supporters (major donors)
- UK and Zambia Board members
- Senior leadership experience within a not for profit organisation, ideally with overseas development experience. Some commercial experience an advantage
- Sound understanding and experience of relationship based fundraising/income generation in the UK / Europe, with the ability to build networks, foster new partnerships and provide access to key relationships
- A strong affinity with our mission, values and approach
- Forward-thinking and dynamic with proven experience of leading, developing and managing a high performing team
- Demonstrable experience setting and implementing strategies and plans at a departmental or organisational level
- Familiarity with good practice in development projects an advantage
- A commitment to continuous improvement in all areas of responsibility
- Excited about the prospect of being based in beautiful Shropshire with regular travel in the UK and up to 6 weeks a year abroad
Outline Terms and Conditions
- Salary in the range £40k - £50k p.a.
- 25 days annual leave
- Contribution to personal pension
- Based in Shrewsbury (limited home working negotiable)
- Contribution to relocation costs
Please see our website https://www.builditinternational.org/about-us/jobs-and-volunteers/ for more details including an information pack. To apply, please submit your CV and a brief supporting statement (no more than one page of A4) to email@example.com by using the Apply section below, with ‘Managing Director’ in the subject heading before 1200hrs on 28th October, 2019.
Note previous applicants for the position Director Development and Performance need not apply.