Roots of Empathy UK is an award winning children’s charity, whose mission is to build caring, peaceful, and civil societies through the development of empathy in children and adults. Created in Canada in 1996 by Founder and President Mary Gordon, Roots of Empathy has reached 1 million children internationally with its empathy based programmes.
The Roots of Empathy programme is a proven early intervention to help children connect with themselves and to others, which addresses the pandemic of loneliness in childhood while promoting mental health and wellbeing. In our programme, primary school children develop empathy over the school year through guided instruction from a trained and certified Instructor using a world-class curriculum and powerful experiential learning from a local parent and baby. Research on the programme has shown consistently that aggression, including bullying, goes down and pro social behaviours, such as including, sharing, caring and kindness go up with lasting impact.
Since its introduction in the UK in 2010 there have been over 3,000 programmes reaching more than 70,000 children in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales. Recently incorporated as an Charitable Incorporated Organisation in the UK, the organisation is growing and scaling across the UK
We are seeking a self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic Programme Co-ordinator for Roots of Empathy UK. As the Programme Co-ordinator you will be responsible for the administration and coordination of all aspects of programme management, including providing support to the UK Manager. We are looking for a self-starter who is both proactive and dynamic and crucially who will excel in a varied role where no two days are the same... You will act as the focal point of liaison for all initial enquires and be a touch point for our school and volunteer contacts correspondence. The post holder will coordinate room set up requests for training, together with scheduling the training diary with UK Manager and Trainers. Duties will include overseeing office supplies, contracts and equipment and you will also have the chance to develop various office systems.
To be considered, you will have strong administrative experience and exceptional customer service skills with the confidence to deal with a wide variety of people. You are organised and excel at prioritising competing deadlines and can comprehend complex situations quickly.
We are seeking a strong communicator who enjoys collaborating with others, while also being comfortable working independently in a newly established organisation where processes are being developed.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a new charity in the UK with an international track record and reputation at an exhilarating time. If you would relish the chance to support an organisation's growth and success, we urge you to apply!
Duties include but are not limited to:
Providing administrative assistance to the UK Manager in maintain effective and efficient office management
- Maintain regular communication with school Senior Leaders, teachers, instructors, volunteer families, local organisations and relevant agencies using a variety of methods (phone, email, in person)
- Promote Roots of Empathy in the UK, including hosting meetings, giving presentations, etc.
- Support the establishment and maintenance of partnerships with child and family welfare organisations/agencies
- Provide administrative support for a successful start-up, delivery, and year-end wrap-up of the Roots of Empathy programmes, including collection of photos, artwork, stories and feedback with applicable release forms
- Monitor programme implementation to ensure the programme’s fidelity
- Identify and manage the New Instructor application process and co-ordinate their placement
- Identify and reach out to volunteer families to engage with and support the programme
- Plan and coordinate Roots of Empathy trainings and professional development opportunities for Roots of Empathy Instructors under the direction of the UK Manager
- Coordinate VIP and/or media visits to Roots of Empathy classrooms and an annual Baby Celebration
- Keep stock of office supplies and place orders when necessary
- Manage agendas/travel arrangements/appointments etc.
- Manage phone calls and enquiries correspondence (e-mail, letters, packages etc.)
- Support budgeting and bookkeeping procedures
- Create and update records and databases with Instructor, School and other contacts data
- Demonstrable experience as an efficient administrator
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work with and communicate effectively with a broad range of people
- An excellent organiser; competent at prioritising workload and able to work with minimum supervision
- Familiarity with office management procedures and basic accounting principles and excellent knowledge of MS Office
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively as part of a team to achieve the vision of the organisation through building relationships
- Must have a strong understanding and belief in the mission, goals and values of the Roots of Empathy organisation
- Desirable a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Self-motivated and trustworthy
- Ability to travel
Initially this contract will be offered on a part/time basis (3 days or equivalent per week) for 1 year this will be subject to review and could increase to a full time position in the future.
Application deadline: Monday 30th September 2019
Please send resume and cover letter detailing how you fit the Job Description to Katie Cohen, UK Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org citing Programme Coordinator Application in the subject line.