3 days left
- Contract Type
Fixed term maternity cover starting in January 2020
Up to £35,000pa
Wisley, Woking Surrey
Full time, 5 days per week out of 7, (37.5 Hours per week)
The RHS is the world’s leading gardening charity and membership organisation, devoted to promoting and safeguarding the art, science and practice of horticulture. RHS Garden Wisley in Surrey is world-renowned and is one of the UK’s leading visitor attractions. Showcasing 240 acres of spectacular gardens, RHS Garden Wisley welcomes over one million visitors annually.
RHS Garden Wisley has an annual programme of around 12 large-scale events, including the Wisley Flower Show, plus upwards of an additional 50 functions and we are now looking for a dynamic person who can manage the development and delivery of this innovative and exciting events programme.
You will be an experienced Events Manager with a proven track record in planning, delivering and managing large-scale outdoor events and private functions. Ideal candidates will be able to think on their feet, professionally liaise with all levels and be able to perform under pressure. You will naturally be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
If you have demonstrable experience in events management and are passionate about gardens, then we would love to hear from you.
Job Purpose: To oversee the planning and delivery of all large-scale public events, private events and family events.
Dimensions: The Events Team at Wisley is responsible for delivering a varied programme of events throughout the year, to drive visitor numbers and income.
· To develop and deliver a strong visitor events programme year on year that is designed to attract a broad range of visitors and will engage and create vibrancy in the garden whilst informing and inspiring them about gardens, gardening and other plant or natural environment related subjects.
· To deliver exceptional events to the highest quality standard and optimise excellent customer service. Events must be commercially viable and show a good return on investment.
· To manage and deliver the events budget for income, visitor numbers and costs. To produce financial reports on individual events and make recommendations for budget and for future operations.
· To liaise and manage external contractors, providers and contributors in respect of their involvement and contribution to the events programme.
· To integrate Heritage Lottery Funding objectives into the events calendar, regularly reporting on outcomes and monitoring spend.
· To undertake research and produce reports and recommendations to assist the smooth running of events.
· To continue to develop the private event business at RHS Garden Wisley, identifying new revenue generating opportunities and maximising existing ones. To support the team to run and manage events to the highest quality standard whilst maintaining margins.
· As part of the cross gardens event managers team, to actively contribute to the development and implementation of the RHS Garden Events Programme. To share best practice, ideas and innovations across other areas of the business as well as at Wisley.
· To oversee the planning and delivery of all family (school holiday) events at Wisley, working closely with external partners and other gardens to deliver an exciting and educational programme.
· To liaise with the marketing and PR teams at Wisley and at other RHS locations to provide them with relevant and timely information to allow effective marketing.
· To undertake risk assessments or acquire risk assessments from relevant sources, as appropriate as part of the management of Health and Safety.
· To ensure compliance with legislation relevant to public and private events.
· To undertake effective evaluation of events to inform the development of future events.
· To manage Health and Safety aspects of events, ensuring adherence to current Health and Safety legislation and best practice in accordance with the Society’s Health and Safety Policy Statement.
· To act as a Site Duty Manager at RHS Garden Wisley on a rota basis, where you will be accountable for co-ordinating site emergencies, taking site closure decisions and taking a lead on setting high standards of customer care.
· Responsibility for ensuring, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of their staff and volunteers; and that the activities for which they are responsible do not expose anyone to risks to their health or safety. Specific areas of responsibility include: ensuring staff and volunteers are adequately supervised, trained and provided with adequate instruction and information to carry out their work safely; ensuring that RHS procedures are followed and risk assessments are carried out; and procedures are in place to deal with emergencies.
· To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required of you in the post.
· Organisation and operation of public and private events
· Understanding of event health and safety regulations
· Managing budgets including forecasting
· Working in a visitor attraction, charity or similar environment
· Delivery of events in an outdoor setting
· Managing a team
SKILLS - JOB COMPETENCES
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in verbal and written English.
· Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with outside agencies, clients, visitors and RHS Staff at all levels.
· Ability to work multiple event evenings and event weekends
· Ability to plan and organise with a high level of detail.
· Ability to operate multiple tasks and prioritise.
· Ability to be proactive and use initiative.
· Use of the Internet to carry out research, obtain information and e-mail.
· Computer literacy, especially in Microsoft Office products: Word; Excel; Outlook.
In the process of recruitment, selection and appointment, the RHS implement a range of procedures and actions including criminal record checks to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
To apply please visit our website via the link.
All applications should be received by 4pm, on the closing date which is Monday 30th September 2019.