Senior Press Officer
We are seeking a positive, proactive and experienced press and media professional to bring new skills and expertise to work with a young, dynamic and ambitious charity in South London.
Our client is a charity established in 2013 to champion and support the use of effective early intervention to improve the lives of children and young people at risk of experiencing poor outcomes. This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and experienced communications professional to be part of an organisation that aims to make a real difference to children’s lives.
Our client's work focuses on the developmental issues that can arise during a child’s life, from birth to the age of 18, across a wide range of issues, including health, education, families and policing. Effective early intervention works to prevent problems occurring, or to tackle them head-on when they do, before problems get worse.
Position: Senior Press Officer
Location: London (SE1)
Duration: Permanent, full-time
Benefits: 30 days’ holiday per year plus bank holidays. Pension contributions 6% employer, 3% employee. Flexible and agile working opportunities. Employee Assistance Programme. Childcare vouchers. Cycle scheme. Season ticket loans.
Closing date: 10th September 2019
As part of our client’s commitment to flexible working they will consider a range of options for the successful applicant to fill the post!
About the role:
As Senior Press Officer you will work closely with the Head of Communications and colleagues across the organisation, including the senior management team. You will take a lead role in ensuring the charity is able to tell positive, compelling and influential stories through appropriate external channels, about the need for and impact of early intervention, and about our client’s own role, activities and impact.
The role requires creativity, persistence, a keen understanding of the demands and opportunities of traditional and online media outlets, and the ability to understand and work with highly nuanced messages or technical content.
Key responsibilities would include:
- Managing our client’s press and media function
- Writing high-quality press releases, blogposts and other ‘story’ content on behalf of our client and your colleagues
- Building and maintaining warm working relationships with key outlets/editors/journalists
- Increasing our client’s profile and safeguarding their reputation with press and influencer audiences
- Identifying and building relationships with high-profile blogs, websites, journals and other non-press outlets in our client’s sector
- Initiating and managing press and other story opportunities based on our client’s ongoing work
- Pitching stories and chasing up with editors and journalists to secure coverage
- Overseeing the technology and services required to maintain an effective press function
- Training and briefing colleagues for media and other external appearances
- Overseeing and growing the readership of our client’s blog.
This opportunity requires a positive, proactive and experienced press and media professional. It would suit a journalist or editor looking to move into the charity sector, or a mid-level press officer keen to take responsibility for building a new, increasingly impactful media function.
Essential skills and experience include:
- Demonstrable experience as a journalist, or in a dedicated media or press role
- Substantial hands-on experience in all aspects of media operations
- Detailed knowledge of national, major local and key sector media outlets and excellent contacts among relevant editors and journalists
- Understanding of how press coverage can influence policy decisions and build an organisation’s reputation
- Demonstrable experience of developing a new or expanded press function, and of increasing the media profile of an organisation
- Excellent organisational, administrative and time-management skills, with the ability to work to tight deadlines and assess competing priorities.
Although not essential, knowledge of early intervention or issues related to children and families’ well-being would be beneficial. This could include physical and mental health, education, family and relationship support, youth justice, policing or developmental science.
Our client believes in being inclusive and giving everyone an equal chance to succeed. Applications are welcome from all candidates regardless of age, sex, gender identity, disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, race, sexual orientation, transgender status or social economic background.
Other roles you may have experience of could include: Journalist, Press Officer, Media Operations, Editor, Media Relations, Media Officer, Senior Communications Officer, Media and Communications, Charity Press Officer, Press Manager, Media and PR etc.