Chair of Trustees
Community First Oxfordshire (CFO) is looking to appoint a new Chair of Trustees
CFO is a community development charity working with rural and urban communities to strengthen community infrastructure, focusing on transport, community buildings, community engagement, community shops and enterprise, ageing and health. We support and advise volunteer-led actions in Oxfordshire, helping over 4,500 volunteers fulfil many roles in their communities.
In addition, CFO runs a highly-regarded Neighbourhood Planning support service, and is leading on new initiatives, such as placemaking with emerging communities (new developments), community- led housing and transport social enterprise partnerships.
CFO is part of a national network of ACRE community councils. We work in collaboration with the network, with statutory bodies, with the local voluntary sector and with businesses to improve impacts on the ground by working together.
The Board is essentially looking for someone with an interest and enthusiasm for working to improve community life in Oxfordshire. Our ideal person:
- has proven chairmanship skills, and leads a Board in a clear, inclusive and collaborative way
- has excellent interpersonal skills and is able to develop effective working relationships with the Trustees, joint CEOs and staff
- has a very good knowledge and understanding of the Voluntary and Community Sector
- has relevant business experience which can contribute to the growth of CFO as a successful, financially secure, charitable organisation in a challenging financial environment
- has experience of successful contract negotiation and procurement
- has the skills to be an effective ambassador for the organisation within the county, including business leaders, elected councillors and funding bodies and cultivating relationships with stakeholders and partner organisations at senior management levels
- has a record of engagement with community groups at grassroots level
Inevitably, the time commitment is variable but is likely to amount to the equivalent of two or three days per month. Board meetings are held every two months with an AGM in June/July and the Chair is expected to be a member of the Finance Committee. This Committee usually meets earlier in the day of Board meetings. The Chair is supported by a Vice-Chair and a Finance Trustee as Treasurer. This is a non-remunerated post, however out of pocket expenses are payable.
To make the most of this opportunity, please send your CV along with a covering letter by using the apply section below.
Closing date: 11th Sept 2019