Development Manager (Health)
Development Manager (Health) permanent position -Central London £46,489 - £51,899 + Benefits
We are delighted to offer an exciting opportunity to become part of the growing fundraising team of this Russell Group University which has recently launched its new Strategy 2030.
The Directorate of Development and Alumni Engagement (DDAE) seeks to connect with former students (alumni) of Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) and its predecessor institutions and other potential supporters to identify and develop opportunities for increasing private gift income and other forms of giving, such as alumni volunteering, in support of the strategic goals of the University.
You will be responsible for managing a portfolio of current and prospective major donors to the University’s medical faculty, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, one of the leading medical schools in the UK and one of the global leaders in research. The Development Manager (Health) will work closely with the Head of Development, the Vice Principal (Health), as well as academic and professional services colleagues in the faculty to identify new opportunities building on existing opportunities for philanthropy advancing the University’s work and its impact on staff, students and society more broadly.
The post holder will be responsible for managing a large international portfolio of current and prospective donors in support of the School’s priorities, developing relationships, soliciting major gifts and stewarding donors effectively to encourage their lasting support. As faculty lead for development, they will provide functional leadership for the faculty in coordination with the Head of Development, provide annual planning for the faculty’s fundraising activities to ensure delivery. This will be in terms of the implementation and setting of fundraising targets in close coordination and collaboration with academic and professional service colleagues at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The main duties of the role will include:
- Working to a fundraising strategy for the faculty and co-created annual operational plans, manage an international portfolio of current and prospective major donors, cultivate relationships and solicit 5- to 7‑figure gifts with bespoke proposals meeting annual income targets
- In coordination with the Head of Development, academic and professional services colleagues you will identify, co-create and develop new giving opportunities and lead in the development of powerful case for support statements for agreed priorities of the faculty
- Develop stewardship plans for donors to ensure they are kept informed of the progress and impact of their gift and to strengthen their relationship with Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry and the University
- Work with the Head of Development, the Regular Giving Manager and Prospect Research Manager to create a pipeline for prospective major donors progressing to the regular giving level
- Work with the Development Operations Manager and colleagues in the faculty to ensure the database is used effectively donor management and kept up to date with donor-related activities
- Develop new networks, or build on existing ones, with colleagues holding similar roles at other UK universities to stay at the forefront of best practice in medical fundraising for the faculty
- Deputise for the Head of Development at internal and external meetings as required
- Act as liaison between the faculty and DDAE
- To line manage staff as appropriate
- Keep up to date with current best practice and trends in fundraising, particularly in higher Education/Medical or the Health sector
To be successful on application, it is expected that you will be able to demonstrate the below:
- At least five years of successfully developing and managing relationships with donors and prospective donors, or similar experience of managing clients and prospective clients in a relevant field
- Experience of working with high net worth individuals and partners
- Confident in liaising with a wide range of stakeholders including Director level as well as academics, clinicians and subject matter experts
- Graduate of the CASE Spring Institute in Educational Fundraising or similar fundraising qualification
- You will have strong project management skills with experience of writing funding proposals, compiling reports and have a passion for the health/medical sector
- Strong presentation and writing skills with experience in communication and networking with senior stakeholders
- Ideally you will have experience of the health/medial sector or the wider public sector
- You will have responsibility for identifying and approaching trusts & foundation funders; delivering detailed funding proposals and conducting face to face meetings with potential funders and alumni donors
- Experience of developing tailored funding proposals
- Experience of working to and achieving performance-based metrics, such as financial and activity targets
- Experience of managing a large portfolio of prospective donors, cultivating and soliciting gifts from scratch and developing appropriate stewardship plans for these donors
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Experience of working in an education, charity or business development environment
- Passion for fundraising and a commitment to Higher Education
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends, and to undertake frequent travel within the UK and occasional overseas travel, as demanded by the role
The post is full time and permanent. Salary will be in the range £46,489 - £51,899 per annum inclusive of London Allowance. Benefits include 30 days annual leave excluding public holidays, pension scheme and interest-free season ticket loan.
If this role is of interest, please do apply ASAP with an up to date word version of your CV highlighting all your relevant experience and a Cover Letter. For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated recruitment site: https://microsites.hays.co.uk/jobs/queen-mary-university
Closing date for applications will be midnight Monday 26th August 2019.
Interviews to be held on the 3rd to the 5th of September 2019.