Awards and Prizes Manager
Awards and Prizes Manager
circa £40,500 to £45,500 per annum
We are looking for an Awards and Prizes Manager to join the IET family!
We are the IET and we inspire, inform and influence the global engineering community to engineer a better world. As a diverse home across engineering and technology, we share knowledge that helps make better sense of the world in order to solve the challenges that matter. It’s why we are uniquely placed to champion engineering. The IET distributes around £1m in scholarships and prizes annually and offers a wide range of distinguished awards.
Your role will be to look after the team and have oversight of the administration connected with the application and assessment procedures and the organisation of high-profile award ceremonies and prize lectures. You will also be responsible for monitoring the IET’s Trust Funds, worth several million pounds, so that spending is in line with the resources available.
This is an exciting role that provides ample opportunities for proactive contact with industry and academia worldwide with the aim of harnessing the resources that these contacts can offer to multiply the effectiveness of the IET’s own contribution. Experience in project management, stakeholder engagement and managing committees is key, and knowledge of scholarship programmes would be highly advantageous.
Take a look at the role outline and key skills below. If you feel you have experience in a number of these areas (even if it’s not quite all of them) please send us your CV for consideration. We are also open to discussing flexible ways of working, including reduced hours and working in an agile way.
If you are keen to join the IET Family, we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Day to Day Responsibilities (summary)
- Ensure the IET’s awards, scholarships and prizes are all managed efficiently and effectively so that expenditure on administration is minimised.
- Create and manage effective and efficient application and assessment systems working with external IT suppliers as required.
- Implement, with the assistance of a team, application and assessment procedures suitable for each award, scholarship and prize.
- Work with committees of IET members to shape the portfolio of awards, scholarships and prizes in accordance with the IET’s strategic objectives
- Recruit and manage a team of volunteer assessors organised into committees or panels that are appropriate for each scheme.
- Work with the IET’s fundraising team to influence, negotiate and establish agreements that match the needs of external donors with the capability of the IET to deliver.
- Work with colleagues, to develop marketing strategies that stimulate interest in the awards.
- Develop and implement a portfolio of high profile events that publicise and celebrate IET awards and scholarships winners.
- Develop and implement an engagement strategy for scholarship and bursary holders and alumni.
- Ensure high impact publicity for IET awards and prizes and their winners inside and outside of the IET.
- Work with colleagues to plan, monitor and report on significant expenditure from Trust Funds, legacies and external donors over long periods.
- Prepare the annual business plan and budget bid for the awards area and manage financial performance throughout the year within the agreed budget, providing accurate forecast reports.
- Manage and motivate direct reports, stimulating their personal and professional development.
- Communicate orally and in writing in excellent English
- Influence, persuade and negotiate at senior levels
- Innovate within a context where tradition is valued
- Able to spot new opportunities and assess them critically
- Manage large amounts of expenditure on behalf of the IET and external funders
- Sensitive to the optimum positioning for a professional body
- Evidence of strong organisation skills and willingness to design and implement administrative systems
- Experience of application, nomination and peer assessment systems facilitated by IT
- Able to manage and motivate a team ensuring critical deadlines are met
The IET is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.