Supporter Engagement Manager
Location: Bethnal Green, London
Salary: £38k - £41k
Full time contract (37.5 hours a week)
Reports to: Director of Development
Line reports: No line reports – but potential for this area to grow.
Our mission - No one left behind in the dark
Along with our social enterprise based in Africa, SunnyMoney, SolarAid aims to reach the poorest people in the most remote communities with clean and affordable light. Our approach is creating a sustainable solar market in Africa which is more effective than handouts of aid.
However, the latest projections show there will be 600 million people still living in the dark in Africa by 2030. This is the deadline of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals - number 7 being ‘universal access to clean and affordable energy. Much more needs to be done for no one to be left in the dark by 2030. No home, no school and no clinic in Africa should be left in the dark when the sun goes down.
We are in a new growth phase, and we are looking for an ambitious and agile fundraiser to join the team to us help achieve our mission and to grow sustainable income from individuals £500k to £750k a year in three years and impact on other areas.
About the role
SolarAid adopts a holistic approach to its fundraising based on the belief that all areas are interconnected and can reinforce each other, for example an individual supporter may recommend SolarAid to the company they work for. A culture of working collaboratively is essential.
This role is suited to a fundraiser who is comfortable engaging individuals directly as well as through online and written communications.
Currently income from individuals, including community groups, is £500k through donations and fundraising. We are also receiving our first donations from legacies. In addition, we have found with the right approach, individuals can help influence income from other sources including foundations and companies.
Current team members you will work closely with are the Director of Development, Development Officer, Corporate Partnerships Manager, the Supporter Experience Administrator, and the Communications and Marketing Manager. ‘Development’ is internal term we use that covers fundraising and programme support.
You will get support through mentoring and/or training. We will also help you understand SolarAid’s approach to fundraising - based on inspiring people who believe in what we believe to spread our story. We strive to deliver the best possible supporter experience. SolarAid were shortlisted for the ‘Best Donor Experience Award’ at the 2018 National Fundraising Awards. Our strong culture of positive fundraising, emphasising storytelling and valuing our supporters, makes for a very fulfilling working environment.
You will be expected to uphold the values and ethos of SolarAid in the way we engage with audiences, and inspire support, at all times.
Lead on activities to increase engagement and raise income from individuals via donations fundraising and encouraging them to advocate for SolarAid to their networks to attract support across all income areas and help deliver on the mission.
- Coordinate appeals to supporters cross a variety of channels including mailings and email.
- Attract new supporters who share our beliefs.Encourage regular giving and ensure supporters who contribute this way get a great experience.
- Engage individual supporters to encourage them to advocate on our behalf e.g. encouraging them with relevant resources including solar lights.
- Meet high value supporters and keep them updated on the impact of their support.
- Support individuals choosing to fundraise for SolarAid.
- Create advocates leading to further income and/or mission level support as a result of individuals advocating for SolarAid, for example recommending SolarAid to the company they work for or introducing SolarAid to a foundation.
- Create a community of supporters through their participation, events, and invest time in continued engagement with individuals both online and offline, equipping supporters with content they can use.
- Develop products to encourage support from schools and churches and other community groups, to new movements who share our values, including responding to requests for talks and assign speakers (including developing volunteer speakers).
- Engage supporters to help develop legacy messaging to help communicate that leaving a bequest in your will is one way of supporting, leading to an increase the number of bequests left to SolarAid.
- As a small tight knit team every role is expected to help achieve the team’s overall fundraising target in order to further the organisation’s mission.
- Mucking in to help the running of the office and creating a positive working environment.
Skills and Competencies
- A sunny disposition, of course!
- Able to collaborate with colleagues from a range of backgrounds.
- Great team player and willing to support colleagues.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to present to audiences clearly and passionately
- Excellent phone manner.
- Able to write in an engaging, clear and concise way for a particular audience.
- Able to analyse data to determine the best approach and maximise learning.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to try new approaches and learn from mistakes.
- Interest in the issues SolarAid is tackling and international development more widely.
- Occasionally willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Willingness to travel.
Experience – Essential
- Experience in individual giving and/or community fundraising for a minimum of 3 years
- Familiar at using salesforce or similar CRM database for selections and reporting
Experience – Desirable
- Worked in a small team.
- Interest in international development and/or climate change issues.
- Understanding of GDPR and good practice in relation to fundraising.