Job title: Managing editor
Location: High Holborn, London
Reports to: Chief Executive, RSTMH
Hours of work: Full time
Salary: £33k – 35k, depending on experience
Job type: Permanent
The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (RSTMH) is a society of over 1,200 members from 83 countries, who work in, or are interested in tropical medicine and global health.
RSTMH publishes two peer-reviewed scientific journals. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Transactions) and International Health. Both journals are published by Oxford University Press, and we currently work with an agency to manage the majority of the peer review process. We are currently in the process of finalising a new contract with our Publisher OUP. This is a truly exciting time for our journals, with this new contract, and other changes we’re making to improve our publishing model.
We’re looking for an experienced Managing Editor who will relish the opportunity to oversee these two journals, and help us achieve our ambitious new strategy. RSTMH is a small team so the candidate needs to be happy to work alone, and also be an effective team player. They should be equally comfortable writing a new strategy for the journals, networking to identify great researchers and professionals, and answering day to day queries from authors or reviewers. The candidate needs to be responsible for the budget for the journals and have excellent project management and relationship building skills.
Summary of the role
- Taking ultimate responsibility for the quality and balance of content from the selection and commissioning of articles
- Developing and overseeing Editorial Boards of the highest calibre and managing/maximising their contributions through effective regular communications
- Maintaining timeliness and a high impact for the journals in the international scientific and global health communities
- Ensuring that the journals are an integral part of RSTMH, reflecting and complementing wider organisational activity and strategy, and working with the publisher to promote RSTMH and its journal content to a wider audience
Please apply by sending a covering letter detailing how your experience matches the job responsibilities and description (attached), and your CV, by 17:00 on 23 August 2019.
No agencies please.
More searches like this
- Marketing International Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- Campaigning International Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- Management International Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- Operations & Service Delivery International Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- PR & Communications International Full Time jobs in London (Greater)