Harris Hill are thrilled to be working with Hand in Hand International in their search for a new Programme Manager in London to be responsible for the implementation and delivery of a new large corporate funded programme in Kenya and to oversee a portfolio of other projects/grants.
About Hand in Hand International
Where others see poverty Hand in Hand sees grassroots entrepreneurs, full of energy and potential. We help channel their skills and ideas into jobs. They find a way out of poverty.
Since 2003, across a network stretching from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, Hand in Hand has helped create or improve some 4 million jobs 90 percent of them for women. We focus on women because they face unique barriers to starting an enterprise and generating an income. At the same time, for every dollar they earn, they spend 90 cents on their families and communities. We work in four key stages. First we create community groups, made up mainly of women, who support each other, save together and learn together. Then we train them in enterprise and vocational skills, to help them start or develop small businesses that make use of their skills and potential. Next we provide access to microloans that are always paid back thanks to support from the group. Finally we help scale up members' businesses and take them to bigger markets, which in turn benefits their families and communities.
This role will be a vital part of Hand in Hand International's programmes team, with primary responsibility for successfully implementing a large, complex corporate funded programme supporting enterprise growth and job creation in Kenya. It is estimated that management of this partnership will take up 60% of the programme manager's time, including extensive travel to East Africa. The remaining 40% of the role will be dedicated to managing a portfolio of complementary grants.
-Lead successful delivery (inception, start-up, implementation, and close-out) of a large corporate partnership supporting entrepreneurs in Kenya to expand their businesses and access new markets. This innovative, multi-year project consists of four programme pillars: three programmatic components and one action research component.
-Work closely with country-based colleagues to ensure project activities are being delivered on time, that monitoring and research activities are delivering high quality data and outputs and that the general requirements of key project stakeholders are met.
-Lead all reporting activities for the project, extracting relevant data, drafting project narratives and providing interim updates to project stakeholders.
-Oversee action research activities, which seek to more clearly determine what interventions work well for entrepreneurs as they grow their businesses and why. This will include supporting regular data collection and analysis from the on-going programme and synthesising key findings on behalf of the partnership.
-Project manage a number of strategic deliverables relating to a digital transformation of Hand in Hand's M&E systems, primarily from the perspective of enabling more efficient and effective data collection for large, complex programmes
-Manage a small portfolio of institutional and corporate grants, working with in-country colleagues to ensure effective delivery of these grants providing technical support and advisory where necessary
-Together with dedicated grant managers and in-country project teams, coordinate and produce high quality donor reports for these grants
-Develop annual workplans and reporting systems for new projects coming into the portfolio.
-Work with HiH partner organisations to identify emerging challenges, opportunities, and learning from existing programmes.
-Provide technical inputs (on entrepreneurship, market development, livelihoods) for project concepts and proposals being developed by London based fundraisers.
-Proactively manage relationships with key donors
Skills and Experience Required:
-Extensive experience of managing large, complex international development projects within an NGO, government or the private sector. Previous experience supporting livelihoods, women's economic empowerment or market development programmes will be an advantage, as will previous experience with corporate donors.
-Direct experience creating and using project management tools such as logframes, workplans, risk matrices and similar will be central to this role.
-A detailed understanding of development challenges and debates linked to enterprise and job creation, as well as experience of working in either East Africa and/or post-conflict countries will be an advantage
-Previous experience engaging directly with large donors, both in person and via written reports.
A good understanding of monitoring and evaluation as it links t