Membership Development and Engagement Manager
The Campaign for Science and Engineering (CaSE) is the UK’s leading independent advocate for science and engineering. Our mission is to ensure that the UK has the skills, funding and policies to enable science and engineering to thrive. CaSE represents over 115 organisations including industry, universities, professional bodies, and research charities, as well as individual scientists and engineers. Our broad membership enables us to understand the rich ecosystem of science and engineering in the UK and to represent the needs of the sector in all its settings.
CaSE operates at the heart of science and politics. This role offers unrivalled access to the major organisations working across the science and engineering sector in the UK. Through CaSE’s policy work, you will be up to the minute on all the current issues that matter to our members.
About the role
The Membership Develop and Engagement Manager is central to CaSE’s plans to deliver its five-year strategy. We are a thriving organisation, looking to grow. The post holder will help deliver several of our strategic goals: to broaden our membership to represent the breadth of the science and engineering sector and better understand their needs; to be an effective advocate on behalf of our members; and to ensure CaSE is a financially resilient organisation.
The role offers a wide range of responsibility, across member recruitment and retention as well as securing corporate partners and sponsorship for our major events and projects. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to make a big contribution to a small team, who wants to shape and develop this role to make it their own.
We are looking for someone who is able to lead and develop membership, corporate partnerships and sponsorship, can represent CaSE fluently, is confident dealing with senior stakeholders and enjoys working in a small team.
Organisational membership represents the majority of our membership income and we have a target to grow this income stream significantly over the next three years. The Membership Develop and Engagement Manager will pursue new membership and sponsorship opportunities, in partnership with the Executive Director, Chair and Trustees of CaSE where appropriate. They will build strong relationships with our existing members and partners and will find effective ways for CaSE to understand the needs of our members and for members to inform and support our work.
- Increase CaSE income through the acquisition of new members, sponsors and corporate partners;
- Create and implement an effective engagement strategy to maintain a high level of member retention and ensure key relationships are well managed;
- Build strong relationships within the sector to raise the profile of CaSE, develop new audiences and identify commercial opportunities;
- Successfully communicate CaSE’s value to senior decision makers and negotiate commercial agreements;
- Work with the Communications Manager to optimise marketing to achieve strategic objectives;
- Manage the annual membership invoicing process;
- Act as an ambassador for CaSE at external events and meetings;
- Contribute to thinking on the long-term development of the organisation.
Personal skills and attributes:
- A self-starter who can lead and develop membership and corporate partnership activity;
- Excellent relationship management skills, comfortable dealing with high office and a good ambassador for CaSE;
- An interest in the policy environment and the science and engineering sector with the ability to grasp and convincingly convey CaSE’s work;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to both be creative and bring new ideas to the role and to be focussed in delivering ambitious business objectives;
- Professional regard for the responsibility of holding and maintaining stakeholder data;
- Strong organisational and project management skills;
- Ability to work well in a small team and willingness to ‘pitch in’.
- 3-5 years’ experience of successfully securing new business within membership, corporate partnerships, sponsorship or major donations;
- Evidence of building and developing strong relationships with commercial partners;
- Proven communication skills, such as writing and delivering pitches, creating marketing campaigns;
- Experience of designing strategies to engage and communicate with members, including using digital platforms, and of evaluating their impact;
- Project management – from conception to delivery and evaluation;
- Experience of engaging with stakeholders at all levels;
- Experience of maintaining a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system and of evolving good practice to keep up to date with the requirements for data protection;
- Reporting on income and renewals.
How to Apply
Send your CV along with a covering letter (two pages maximum) setting out how your qualities, skills and experience meet the person specification to CaSE Executive Director, Dr Sarah Main, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11.59pm Tuesday 9th July 2019.
Interviews will take place on Tuesday 16th July in central London. Candidates are asked to hold Tuesday 23rd July for possible second interviews. For an informal conversation about the role, please contact Sarah Main on Sarah@sciencecampaign.org.uk or 020 7679 4995.
Terms and Conditions
Salary: The salary for this position is £36-38k per annum depending on experience.
Hours: The post is advertised as full time at 35 hours a week, Monday to Friday, with options for flexible working. We will consider requests for part-time working that meet the needs of the role.
Holidays: Holiday entitlement is 25 days paid leave per year, plus public holidays. In addition, the CaSE office is closed for 3 days between Christmas and New Year.
Pension: CaSE will provide an annual pension contribution equal to 11% of gross salary into a pension scheme of the employee’s choice.
Location: The role is based at CaSE's office in Gordon House, 29 Gordon Square, London, WC1H 0PP.
Eligibility: Applicants must have right to work in the UK.
To find out more about CaSE and the role please go to http://www.sciencecampaign.org.uk/about-us/vacancies/case-vacancy-membership-manager.html