Would you like to work for a small, agile and energetic charity that makes a huge impact on society? We are looking for a brilliant Communications Manager to join our friendly team at the Social Business Trust (SBT). You must be a communications professional, with good media experience, who can work collaboratively with some of the best communications and corporate events planning teams in the business.
At SBT we work with carefully selected and high potential social enterprises and charities to accelerate and grow their impact. We do this by investing professional support and cash grants from our leading corporate partners (including Bain & Company, Clifford Chance and EY). Since 2010 we have helped more than 1.9 million people by providing more than £18 million worth of carefully targeted business expertise and funding. We are on track to help a cumulative 3 million people by 2021.
The Communications Manager role is critical to the success of SBT: helping to create the right types of content and events to target the right audiences at the right time. This could be planning and delivering a memorable fundraising event with our partners or working with a social enterprise to create a case study that tells their outstanding growth story. This is a busy and exiting role as at SBT we are always searching for new ways to heighten awareness of our brand, raise funds and reach new audiences to tell them about our success stories.
We are looking for a dynamic and engaging individual with excellent administrative, digital, written,facilitation and event-planning skills. With your “can-do” attitude and engaging personal style, you will be a pivotal member of the SBT team, as well as spending time partnering and collaborating with others in our eco system to create high-quality communications.
For the right candidate, this role offers the opportunity to broaden your skills, your network and your reputation. You will also work with, and learn from, some of the UK’s best business communications and events professionals.
We are looking for an experienced and passionate candidate who will work closely with both the Portfolio and Corporate Partnership Directors.
The candidate will:
- take responsibility for all communication activities with the support of our corporate partners. This will include working with others (our corporate partners and/or our portfolio of social enterprises and charities) to create content across all channels. For example; helping to create pitch packs and presentations, creating case studies and updating our website and social media channels to include topical and relevant content. Where possible we are wanting to facilitate our corporate partners to deliver their own promotional materials e.g films, film clips to promote SBT internally and externally.
- be creative in facilitating and generating new and innovative event concepts and be meticulous and organised in co-delivering these events. In the majority of cases this will involve working collaboratively with our corporate partners’ events teams to create memorable events.
- be well informed about developments among our social enterprises, charities and corporate partners as well as the social enterprise sector at large. This involves monitoring and intelligence gathering in order to create punchy, relevant and topical content that stands out from the crowd.
- Content Creation
Work with others, in our eco-system, to generate relatable content across all media and print channels. This will include written communications, audio, photography and video.
As a charity, we are always focussed on ensuring that we get value for money and manage our budgets tightly. When we do not have the skills in-house (including from our corporate partners) we will create a tendering process to ensure we use the most cost-effective third-party solution.
Content will be generated through a variety of different activities (e.g interviews, focus-groups, fact finding and other research) and will be used for the following key activities:
Corporate Partner Communications – we encourage our corporate partners to talk about us as often as possible both internally and externally. To do this the candidate must build strong relationships with the communication teams in our partner organisations so that SBT is a high priority on their busy agendas.
New corporate partner presentation materials and on-boarding support – SBT is always looking for the right new partners to join us and when they do, we help them to develop and deliver their internal and external communications campaigns about SBT.
SBT News updates and other mailings – SBT creates regular newsletters and other mailings to keep our volunteers and supporters up to date with events.
- Events – design, management followed by monitoring and evaluation
Increasingly we are encouraging our corporate partners to lead SBT fundraising events and help to facilitate SBT’s own events e.g our annual thank you party.
We want to keep our events fresh and engaging so we are always looking for new ideas. Our candidate will need to help design, plan, manage and deliver the events as well as monitor and evaluate their impact. To do this you will need to collaborate closely with our corporate partners and their events teams. These are typically professional corporate events specialists, who are working at pace. We need to leverage their skills and assets in a way that helps deliver desired outcomes and deepen partner relationships. This requires a lot of detailed planning as we must cover all aspects of event planning, including technicalities such as compliance with health and safety and data management (GDPR).
Skills and Experience:
- At least 5 year’s communications experience working across multiple media and print channels. Preferably has experience of reporting to a director level role.
- High quality written communication, presentation, visual and digital media skills. Knows how to engage with, and create impact for, different audience types.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills, can work to tight deadlines, manage multiple small projects simultaneously and prioritise conflicting tasks.
- Proven ability to work closely, and partner with, other organisations to achieve great outcomes. This will require strong influencing and negotiation skills in order to leverage others’ resources, facilities and insights.
- Excellent IT, facilitation and administrative skills.
- Proven ability to manage budgets and keep project delivery to time and budget, whilst creating desired impact.
Characteristics and Attributes:
- High-energy, with a can-do attitude and an ability to over-come hurdles to deliver outstanding results.
- A people person with an engaging and empathetic personality that others like to engage with and work alongside.
- Ability to thrive in a small team and roll up their sleeves when required.
- Someone who takes pride in their work and always strives to learn from others to get better outcomes in the future.
- Is passionate about the social sector and wants to make a difference.
Circa £50,000 per annum full time (pro-rata at 3.5 days per) depending on experience and skills. Reviewed annually. Stakeholder pension scheme. 25 working days per year holiday entitlement, plus 8 public holidays.
Applications must be made before midnight 7th July 2019, using the link to apply and uploading your CV and cover letter.
The cover letter should be no longer than two pages and address the following questions:
1) Why are you interested in joining SBT?
2) How are you qualified for the Communication Manager role?
(Please refer specifically to the headings in the ‘Skills and Experience’ and ‘Characteristics and Attributes’ sections below – and please include examples that show how you meet the criteria required for the role.
When applying, please be mindful of the following interview dates:
First-round: 15th – 19th July 2019
Second-round: 6th, 7th and 8th August 2019