Would you like to join an award-winning charity, whose mission is to support high-potential social enterprises and charities to grow their impact and deliver maximum social value, in a pivotal leadership position? We are looking for a talented individual to become our Portfolio Director at the Social Business Trust (SBT) and be at the heart of everything we do.
SBT is a UK charity that supports social enterprises to accelerate and grow by providing professional support and cash grants from our leading corporate partners - which include Bain & Company, Clifford Chance, EY, Getronics, Permira, Permira Debt Managers and Thomson Reuters. Since 2010 SBT has provided more than £18 million worth of carefully targeted business expertise and funding, As a result SBT has impacted the lives of 1.9 million people and we are on track to help a cumulative 3 million people by 2021.
The candidate will manage SBT’s relationships with all the social enterprises in our portfolio, working hand-in-hand with them to increase their impact and scale. To do this the candidate will work closely with senior professionals at SBT’s corporate partners to broker the business support that will enable STB’s social enterprise to grow and develop.
Simultaneously, the candidate will be responsible for leading the rigorous selection process for promising social enterprises to join the portfolio and for SBT to invest in. To do this the candidate will manage 1-2 portfolio Managers and support them to prepare high-impact materials for our Investment Committee.
We are looking for an energetic and empathetic individual who has the impact and leadership skills to win the trust of very senior stakeholders, from both the corporate and social sector, and make things happen. To do this our candidate will have at least 8-years experience in professional services (management consultancy or finance) or senior roles within the social sector.
- Identify the main business needs of the social enterprises in our portfolio – and craft high-impact volunteering opportunities for our corporate partners to meet these needs. Apply strategic insight and business acumen to identify the crucial areas in which our social enterprises could most benefit from business support in order to grow. Identify and scope targeted projects to meet these needs and effectively mobilise resource from SBT's corporate partners to deliver these projects.
- Deliver outstanding partnership management across all our corporate partners, including building a strong pipeline of business volunteers. Build strong ties with senior executives at each corporate partner and leverage those relationships to unlock further resources to support our social enterprises.
- Identify high-potential social enterprises and support them through rigorous investment process. Oversee robust screening and due-diligence process in order to select high-potential organisations to join SBT portfolio. Conduct in-depth business analysis of these organisations’ past performance and outlook, and build highly compelling investment cases for SBT’s Investment Committee.
- Enable effective Investment Committee (IC) meetings. Work with SBT CEO and Chair to plan and set IC agendas, using these meetings to effectively drive SBT's work. Present well-argued, comprehensive investment cases to SBT's IC and deal effectively with robust challenges from committee members.
- Monitor performance of SBT's portfolio and report back to Investment Committee (IC). Efficiently track the performance (incl. financial, operational, and impact metrics) of the social enterprises in our portfolio – and report on this regularly to SBT’s IC to inform investment decisions.
- Develop highly trusting and collaborative relationships with the senior leadership teams of our social enterprises. Work hand-in-hand with social enterprise CEOs and senior leaders, providing them with constructive challenge, as well as valuable advice and support to grow their organisations.
- Undertake a crucial senior leadership role within SBT. Be a fundamental part of SBT’s senior leadership team – working closely with SBT’s CEO on all major strategic and operational topics. Manage and develop a team of two Portfolio Managers (on rotating 6-12-month secondments from SBT corporate partners), directing their work to identify and develop investment prospects.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in professional services (e.g. management consulting, finance) and/or the social sector
- Numerate and financially literate, with proven experience in evaluating business plans and operational strategies at an organisational level; due-diligence experience is an advantage
- Outstanding interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, with strong ability to network effectively and develop trust and credibility with very senior stakeholders
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with proven experience of delivering Board-level presentations; Investment Committee experience is an advantage
- Strong people management skills, with proven experience managing a team of min. two people
- Demonstrable interest in the social enterprise and/or charity sector
Characteristics and Attributes
- A dynamic and resourceful problem-solver who can find creative and effective solutions to various challenges with limited resources
- A strong leader with presence and gravitas who commands respect amongst senior stakeholders
- A high-performing professional who can navigate complex relationships, and identify high-value links and opportunities between different stakeholders
- An energetic and empathetic individual who will enjoy working with a diverse group of people from the corporate and social sector
- A tenacious person with a can-do attitude and a hands-on approach to work
- A dedicated individual who is extremely organised and has strong attention to detail
- A collaborative people-person who is supportive of others and can thrive in a small team
Applications must be made before midnight 4th July 2019, using the link to apply for the role to upload your CV and cover letter.
The cover letter should be no longer than two pages and address the following questions:
1) Why are you interested in joining SBT?
2) How are you qualified for the Portfolio Director role?
(Please refer specifically to the headings in the ‘Skills and Experience’ and ‘Characteristics and Attributes’ sections below – and please include examples that show how you meet the criteria required for the role.)
When applying, please be mindful of the following interview dates:
First-round: 18th-25th July
Second-round: 30th – 1st August
Final-round: 6th August