Position: Safety Officer
Job type: Full-time / Permanent
Salary: £24,904 per annum (inclusive of London Weighting) plus benefits
Location: ZSL London Zoo – NW1
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join ZSL’s Health & Safety team. The successful candidate will act as a support function for the Health & Safety Advisor focussing particularly on ZSL’s Science and Conservation programmes. The role will include undertaking safety reviews of ZSL projects, developing and delivering training and assisting with the management of ZSL’s travel processes.
- Undertaking safety reviews and developing action plans for ZSL’s conservation and science projects based in the UK and overseas.
- Assisting the health and safety advisor with reviewing risk assessments and emergency response plans, reviewing trip itineraries, advising on legislation and best practice.
- Delivering face to face health and safety and outdoor first aid training and assist with the development of online training.
- Keeping up to date with current affairs (political, social, environmental) relevant to the areas in which ZSL operates.
- Reporting and assisting in accidents, incidents and near misses, logging them onto the incident management system and escalating to the Health and Safety Advisor where required.
- Assisting in implementing and monitoring ZSL’s travel authorisation process.
- Help to co-ordinate the vaccination and occupational health screening programmes liaising with the 3rd party supplier to ensure that staff working cross site are appropriately vaccinated.
The ideal candidate will have:
- IOSH Managing Safely/NEBOSH General Certificate would be desirable.
- First aid qualification and instructor qualification/ willingness to undertake an instructor course.
- Experience of working within an international NGO setting.
- Level 3 in educational training or similar would be desirable.
- A working knowledge and understanding of health and safety legislation and best practice.
- An understanding or qualification in Safeguarding
- Ability to foster positive relationships with colleagues based outside of the UK
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics
Please note: This role is a full-time, permanent position based at London Zoo and will involve travel to ZSL’s international project locations.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 9th June 2019
Anticipated Interview date: Friday 14th June 2019
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the Apply button. You will be directed to our website to download the job description and complete the online application process.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities in employment.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.