London E1 (Aldgate)
c. £30,000 per annum | 35 hours per week
Can you spot a news angle a mile off?
Can you craft compelling statements and press releases that will grab journalists’ attention? And, engaging social media posts that get people talking?
Do you have a bulging contacts book?
Are you proactive, creative and after a new challenge?
We are looking for a dynamic and talented Media Officer to join Asthma UK’s award-winning press team - PR Team of the Year 2018, Charity Times Awards. We’re looking for someone ambitious who wants to use their media skills to raise awareness of our asthma health advice, influence decision-makers to improve the lives of people with asthma and promote our fundraising activity.
There are currently 5.4million people in the UK who have asthma and it can affect every part of their lives – their health, relationships and work. Furthermore, three people die each day from the condition.
Through this role, you’ll have a unique opportunity to make a real difference on a massive scale, getting asthma onto the news agenda and driving home our message that asthma is serious.
The job is varied and every day is different. You could be interviewing a case study, briefing spokespeople for a TV appearance, arranging a celebrity interview, writing a feature for a national newspaper or digging out a story from survey data.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Can see a story or an opportunity in the unlikeliest of places.
- Has a good understanding of what performs well on social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Can write attention-grabbing press materials that get cut through, to tight deadlines.
- Has an understanding of planning, delivering and evaluating media campaigns.
- Has contacts with a range of journalists.
- Understands what makes key influencers – and the channels they use – tick.
- Knows how to use key calendar dates and popular culture as hooks for media activity.
- Has experience in interviewing case studies and placing cases study stories in the media.
- Is committed to making a real difference to the quality of people’s lives.
- Is in tune with PR and/or Third Sector campaigns and trends.
If this sounds like you and you want to bring your insight, knowledge and passion into an environment where it will make a real difference, namely stopping asthma attacks and curing asthma, this is the role for you.
With around 80 people, we’re a tight team working together successfully to stop asthma attacks and cure asthma. We offer substantial benefits, including 30 days holiday (plus bank holidays). Our recent staff survey shows that alongside having a high-performance culture, Asthma UK is a great place to work, with excellent opportunities for development.
For more information and to apply please visit the Asthma UK website or click on the Apply link now!
Closing date for applications: Monday 3rd June 2019.
First interview: Friday 14th June 2019.
Second interview: Wednesday 26th June 2019.
Please submit your application as soon as possible as we reserve the right to change the closing date of our vacancies.