Job Description Across
Job Title Community Fundraiser
Location Stansted Airport
Salary Details & Hours Full-time/0.8, flexible for the right candidate. C. £25K
Reports to Fundraising Manager
The Community Fundraiser will drive income to Across by promoting the work of Across to potential donors, supporting volunteers and groups to fundraise and ensuring good stewardship of donors and fundraisers. Fundraising supports our mission to takethose who suffer from ill health or disability to Lourdes, and on other pilgrimages and holidays, using suitable transport adapted to their needs.
We are currently working on the delivery of an ambitious 3-year plan, with key objectives of increasing the numbers of groups travelling with Across, developing a robust management structure fit for future growth, and a fund-raising strategy that will change the way the charity’s activities are funded, and make our pilgrimage and holiday experiences accessible to a much wider audience.
Is this a journey you would like to join us on? Our ethos is focussed on principles of faith, family and fulfilment, and we are looking for like-minded colleagues who are committed to living these values and giving their time in support of our work.
Overall Purpose of the Role
Each year Across subsidises the cost of travel for all our VIPs, helpers, nurses, young people and priests. To do this we need to generate sustainable income from the wider Catholic community. The post holder will be responsible for generating £60K in the first year from groups and individuals. You will have a real interest in and empathy with our purpose, values and ethos, and an ability to communicate the work of Across in an inspiring and engaging way. You must be willing to promote openness and accountability, always holding the charity’s best interests to heart. Experience of working in a faith-based environment is highly desirable.
Currently money comes from ad hoc legacies, a small number of friends, candlelight club and occasional trust and foundation gifts.
Recent legacies have enabled the charity to recruit staff, including this Community Fundraising role and a Fundraising Manager. We now have an urgent need to focus on the development of sustainable fundraising sources beyond legacies
Principle working relationships
- Potential Donors group leaders
- Gambling commission and other regulators
- General Manager
- Engagement and Support
- Volunteers, including trustees, group leaders and other groups
- HQ staff, Lourdes team and Jumbulance drivers
- Fundraising trustee
- Agree income targets with Fundraising Manager
- Monitoring progress against the key measures
- Secure opportunities to fundraising from Catholic Parishes and Groups by giving talks, supporting volunteers to fundraise and running fundraising events
- Support group fundraising and publicity, including sending material, maintaining the quality and stock of materials and giving advice
- Growing the friends and candlelight giving programmes through the outreach work in communities
- Ensuring best practice donor stewardship
- Ensuring that Across’ organisational values are upheld in the delivery of its objectives.
- Safeguarding Across’ reputation
- Promoting and developing the charity in order for it to grow and maintain its public benefit.
- Working as a team member and support the work of the Fundraising Manager and General Manager
- Attending events as an ambassador for Across, to network, promote the work of the organisation and provide thanks and recognition to supporters and donors.
- Assisting with fundraising by speaking, networking and otherwise seeking donations in conjunction with other staff and volunteers as appropriate.
- Owning and managing other duties, related to marketing and fundraising
Experience to enable effective fulfilment of your role
- Track record in raising money from communities
- Excellent understanding of fundraising and donor relations
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with the ability to write a compelling case for support and to communicate this effectively through face-to-face presentations
- Mobilising volunteers and groups to fundraise
- Ability to develop effective relationships with colleagues; to inspire the team and to work effectively to achieve shared goals
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to prioritise workload and meet strict overlapping deadlines
- Understanding of compliance and legal requirements in relation to fundraising.
- Interest and commitment to the values and ethos of Across.
- Experience of managing budgets and financial reporting
- Understanding of working in a faith-based organisation;
- Successful track record in developing individual giving schemes;
- Experience with CRM systems.
Applications are requested in writing via email and should include a CV which details your relevant experience in accordance with the above specification and requirements.
Please include a cover letter with your application and send to Debbie Hourihan, General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be treated in confidence.
Please communicate your interest as early as possible and submit your application no later than Thursday 13th June 2019.
We will review applications and select candidates for interview based on those who best fit the criteria outlined above.
If you have any queries regarding the specification, requirements, the commitment or any of the accompanying information ahead of submitting your application, please feel free to contact Debbie Hourihan on the above email address in the first instance.