The Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) is the independent student complaints scheme for England and Wales. We review unresolved complaints from students about their higher education provider, and make recommendations for providers to put things right if they have gone wrong. We share learning from complaints to help improve policies and practices across the higher education sector. And we contribute to the development of policy, both in the regulatory framework for higher education and in the ombuds sector.
Effective communication is a vital part of what we do. As one of our Communications Officers, you will have the opportunity to use your communications expertise to enhance our internal and external communications as part of a friendly, collaborative and committed team.
What we are looking for
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- write and edit content for organisational publications and Board reports
- manage routine engagement with sector media
- work with colleagues across the organisation to promote consistent, clear and accessible communication
- promote staff understanding of strategic initiatives, governance and organisational developments
To succeed in the role you will need to be a skilled writer who is comfortable with a collaborative approach to writing and editing. In particular, we are looking for someone who has:
- excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to explain issues in a clear, simple and concise way
- the ability to see the "big picture", understand complex issues and recognise and manage opportunities and risks
- strong interpersonal skills and a flexible approach
- the ability to drive work through to a successful conclusion within tight timescales
Experience of working with the media and/or in higher or further education policy would be an advantage but is not essential.
We are a forward looking organisation with strong values and a commitment to continually improving what we do. We value diverse backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives. We have a supportive and inclusive organisational culture and encourage personal development and career progression. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Monday 13th May 2019.