Programme Coordinator for London
About Action Tutoring and the role:
Mission: Action Tutoring supports young people facing socio-economic disadvantage to achieve a meaningful level of academic attainment, with a view to enabling them to go on to further education, employment or training. We do this by partnering high quality volunteer tutors with pupils to increase their subject knowledge, confidence and study skills.
Action Tutoring is a national education charity that provides tutoring to pupils from less advantaged backgrounds in London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol and Brighton. We have grown rapidly over the last couple of years and have ambitious plans for developing our programmes in the future.
We are looking for a high-calibre candidate to join our team as a Programme Coordinator for London. You will be responsible for overseeing a case load of 6-7 partner schools primarily based in South London, liaising and working closely with the schools and pupils and managing our pool of volunteer tutors. You will oversee the quality of tutoring, continuously working to deliver the greatest impact for participating pupils.
The position would suit a person who wants to gain experience of stakeholder management including members of the Senior Leadership Team in schools, experience of recruiting and managing volunteers, experience in the education and charity sector and who wants to join an exciting and rapidly developing charity. We are looking for people who can demonstrate genuine commitment to the vision of the charity and see themselves developing with us.
Comprehensive induction and training will be provided. Action Tutoring is committed to providing development opportunities for its staff, and as a growing charity there are plenty of opportunities to take on new areas of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To take responsibility for the delivery of Action Tutoring’s tutoring programmes in partner schools. This includes working closely to manage all key stakeholders: schools, pupils and volunteer tutors. Regularly attending tutoring sessions; leading on reviewing and improving programme delivery, using data to reliably assess programme performance.
- Assist the wider London team with focused recruitment of volunteer tutors.
- To manage the tutor sign up process to assign tutors to upcoming tutoring programmes, working with the Recruitment Officer on local volunteer recruitment.
- Delivering training for tutors on an initial and on-going basis.
- To develop and strengthen relationships with key stakeholders in partner schools, including members of the Senior Leadership Team and subject teachers.
- To update and maintain Action Tutoring’s database, including collecting data for monitoring and evaluation purposes, such as attendance records, baseline and interim assessments and end of programme surveys. Reporting regularly on key performance indicators.
- To work with Action Tutoring’s Programme Manager on business development, approaching new schools that might be interested in working with Action Tutoring.
- To proactively report to Action Tutoring’s Programme Manager on the details of Action Tutoring’s operations in your partner schools.
- Any other responsibilities reasonably deemed necessary.
We are seeking applications from individuals who are:
- Able to work independently and use initiative in a range of situations. Programme Coordinators will often be Action Tutoring’s sole representative at a partner school, so will need to be able to effectively organise their own time and be confident in working autonomously.
- Able to develop strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders. The role involves regular communication with tutors, pupils and teachers: the Programme Coordinator will need to be able to adapt their communication style to different audiences and uphold Action Tutoring’s high standards of professionalism in all interactions.
- Able to meet deadlines and undertake administration. The Programme Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining accurate and timely records of all aspects of Action Tutoring’s work in the region – much of this administration requires working to deadlines under pressure.
- Committed to ensuring young people from all backgrounds reach a meaningful level of academic attainment. The Programme Coordinator is critical to enabling Action Tutoring to deliver on its mission and will need to be passionate about bringing about this change.
- Adaptable and open to learning. Action Tutoring is a relatively young organisation and is constantly changing – the Programme Coordinator will need to be willing to adapt and to grow and develop with the organisation, as well as taking a lead on suggesting changes and driving programme improvement.
- Resilient to challenges of working with volunteers and committed to the charity for their longer-term development.
- Experience of working with young people and/or project management. Evidence of an interest in education and/or the third sector would also be an asset.