Office and Finance Administrator
About Action Tutoring:
Action Tutoring is an education charity supporting young people facing socio-economic disadvantage to achieve a meaningful level of academic attainment, with a view to enabling them to go on to further education, employment or training. We do this by partnering high quality volunteer tutors with pupils to increase their subject knowledge, confidence and study skills and particularly focus on offering tutoring to GCSE pupils and Year 6 primary pupils in English and maths.
Action Tutoring operates in London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol and Brighton. We have grown rapidly over the last couple of years and have ambitious plans for developing our programmes in the future.
About the Opportunity:
We are looking for a high-calibre candidate to join our growing organisation as Office and Finance Administrator. The successful candidate will take responsibility for the general office administration and provide support to senior members of the team. You will be responsible for a number of areas including: HR, finance support, diary and travel management, supporting the board and being the first port of call for enquiries. This is a varied role, with opportunities to contribute to, and learn about, a wide range of areas of the organisation.
The role requires a responsible and highly organised person, with some prior administrative experience. A genuine interest in the charity sector and/or education is vital.
Comprehensive induction and training will be provided. Action Tutoring is committed to providing development opportunities for its staff, and as a growing charity there are plenty of opportunities to take on new areas of responsibility.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters must be no more than 1 page and CVs no longer than 2 pages. Your letter should state clearly why you want to work for Action Tutoring, why you’re interested in this role specifically and how you meet the person specification. Applications that don’t meet these criteria will be automatically disqualified.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the CEO and management team with diary management, appointments and visits including arranging room bookings and organising travel as required.
- Arrange travel and accommodation for staff members as required.
- Provide HR assistance across the organisation including supporting recruitment, inductions, HR record keeping and staff events, for example team away days and Christmas parties.
- Assist with financial administration including paying invoices, issuing invoices to partner schools and monitoring and chasing payments, preparing financial records for external bookkeeper.
- Be the first port of call to welcome visitors, screen and direct phone calls, respond to general email enquiries and forward as appropriate.
- Support with administration for DBS checks including processing when required and updating volunteer records.
- Provide secretarial support to the meetings of the trustee board including arranging meeting dates, taking and preparing minutes and preparing reports when required.
- Manage office equipment, resources and stationery for the whole team, including ensuring sufficient supplies of tutor resources and marketing materials at all times.
- Manage the marketing and tutor resource stock and the general office area, ensuring they remain tidy, safe and presentable at all times.
- Assist with the management of all required company policies and insurances, working with the CEO to ensure the organisation adheres to data protection, health and safety and other workplace legislation.
- Occasional support for Programme Coordinators when required, for example making phone calls to prospective volunteers, or attending volunteer recruitment events.
- Additional duties as required to ensure the smooth running of the organisation.
- Prior experience carrying out a range of administrative tasks with attention to detail and accuracy to a high standard.
- Highly organised and methodical, able to multi-task and prioritise and complete all activities to a high standard; excellent time management skills.
- Able to work independently and use initiative in a range of situations; forward thinking and can react to circumstances.
- Strong written and numerical skills and strong communication and people skills.
- High computer literacy; familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and have experience using databases.
- Supportive, works well with colleagues to enable them to do their best.
- Open to new ideas, able to suggest improvements and takes ownership. Action Tutoring is a small organisation and values the creative input of all staff members to innovate and drive improvements.
- Adaptable and open to learning. Action Tutoring is a relatively young organisation and is constantly changing. You will need to be willing to adapt and to grow and develop with the organisation.
- A* - C in maths and English at GCSE or equivalent.
- Experience of HR and/or financial administration.
- Experience working in the charity sector.
- Degree educated