Our client is Africa’s leading health charity. They work with women and girls to secure the right to health and break the cycle of poverty. Headquartered in Nairobi, they are a truly African organisation, partnering with communities across the continent to create lasting change.
The organisation has country offices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, along with regional hubs in South Africa and Senegal. Our client is one of ten offices in Europe and North America. Their team of 18 is composed of Programmes, Fundraising and Communications, and Finance and Administration functions. They manage a portfolio of innovative health programmes funded by a range of donors including institutions, corporates, trusts and foundations, and individual supporters. Our client's programmes address four crucial and complementary themes: Maternal, New-born and Child Health; Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights; Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH); and Health Worker Training. As the world strives to meet the Sustainable Development Goal of Universal Health Coverage by 2030, they are committed to removing the barriers that impede access to healthcare - ensuring that no-one is left behind.
This is an exciting time to join the Programmes team at the organisation. The Programmes Team is a busy and multi-functional team focussed on providing the best quality support to the organisation's country offices for business development and ensuring that their programmes in Africa are delivered to the highest possible standard.
Position: Programme Assistant
Job type: Full Time, 12 month fixed-term Contract
Hours: flexible working, with core hours of 10am - 4pm
Salary: £22,440 per annum
Benefits: an attractive and competitive salary; a commitment to employee development high levels of engagement and involvement; time off in lieu (TOIL) for work outside of standard hours; travel to our projects in Africa and other offices in Europe as appropriate; generous pension scheme; holiday allowance (25 days + bank holidays + 3 additional days at Christmas); season ticket loan; cycle-to-work scheme.
About the role:
Under the guidance of the Programme Manager, the Programme Assistant will provide administrative support across the Programmes Team, including processing financial information, supporting the identification of funding opportunities, proposal writing, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
The Programme Assistant will be central to supporting the Programme Team to deliver against the yearly operational plans. This will include:
- Supporting the Programmes Team in proposal development by researching funding opportunities, editing / reviewing sections of proposals, developing and formatting of logical frameworks, work plans, budgets and formatting for final submission to the donor.
- Supporting the Programmes Team in reviewing narrative and financial reports.
- Maintaining pipelines, compiling donor reports, updating income and expenditure trackers.
- Coordinating the process of fund transfers to Africa, in collaboration with the Finance Team.
- Liaising with the Fundraising and Communications Teams for the dissemination of the UK programme portfolio’s achievement and outcomes.
The successful applicant will display a real passion for the work our client does. They will quickly come to understand the organisation’s vision, voice, and values, and be able to convey these in a compelling way. They will thrive as part of a small, dynamic team, but enjoy working independently.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, social science, public health or other relevant fields.
- Excellent coordination skills and ability to work with tight and competing deadlines.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Highly numerate and good analytical skills.
- IT literate, especially in Excel and Word.
- Unrestricted right to work in the UK, we are unable to sponsor individuals that do not have this right.
- Experience supporting projects funded by institutional donors (e.g. DFID, EC, JOA) and / or trusts and foundations (e.g. Big Lottery Fund / National Lottery Community Fund, Comic Relief).
- Experience in budget preparation and financial reporting.
- Work / Volunteering experience in Africa.
Our client champions inclusion, diversity and equal opportunity in every aspect of their work. They appoint their staff on merit, respecting and valuing the wide range of ways in which they are able to demonstrate the potential, experience and skills they seek.
You may have experience of the following: Programme Assistant, Project Assistant, Project Coordinator, Admin Assistant, Administrator, Administrative Assistant, Office Administrator, Finance Assistant, Finance Administrator, Accounts Administrator, PA, Personal Assistant, Charity, Charities, Third Sector, NFP, Not for Profit, Department for International Development, Junior Project Manager, etc.