Media & Editorial Manager
C40’s Communications and Events Team is responsible for strategically positioning C40 as one of the world’s most impactful climate organisations and ensuring that mayors of C40 cities are recognised as global climate leaders.
Our global communications campaigns and iconic events encourage even greater collaboration between mayors, city officials, international institutions, scientists, climate experts and CEOs. This drives ambition and helps political and business leaders to step up their climate action to the level needed to keep global temperature rise to within the boundaries that scientists agree is safe.
The Media & Editorial Manager will play an active role in the Communications & Events Team, helping to increase the visibility of C40 and our world-leading network of mayors through exciting and high-quality communications. This person will bring to the team a solid understanding and track record of delivering high-profile media coverage and innovative content across a variety of platforms and will ultimately help to strengthen C40’s reputation as one of the leading voice’s in the global climate conversation.
- Under the guidance of C40’s Head of Media and in close coordination with the Head of Editorial Content, create, edit and publish high-quality and compelling content for a variety of traditional and new media channels, including social media, website, and print newspapers.
- Write op-eds and other pieces of written content for C40 to reach a broad audience, including mayors, citizens and business leaders; edit the writing of outside contributors and fellow C40 staff.
- Along with the Head of Media, identify the leading mediums for youth and millennial audiences and develop materials adapted to this specific audience, as well as create the conditions to build partnerships with these mediums.
- Under the guidance of C40’s Head of Media, develop the influence of C40 among journalists based in London, especially correspondents of international media outlets and newswire agencies.
- Draft and issue press releases; pitch stories; coordinate media interviews with senior staff members. Respond to media enquiries and requests for comment from the organization.
- Draft comprehensive briefing materials and ensure senior staff members are well prepared ahead of media interviews.
- Support C40’s Head of Media in managing journalists, securing interviews with mayors and other high VIPs and delivering press conferences at major international events.
- Undertake editorial review of research materials and other publications as needed.
- Manage an editorial calendar that captures all upcoming priorities for the Media and Editorial Content teams, and ensure it syncs with wider team’s project calendar.
- Attend monthly Communications Advisors calls; help develop the agenda with the Head of Media, and record outcomes and next steps.
- Manage C40’s media monitoring tools, providing regular coverage reports to colleagues, cities and partners. Identify opportunities for increased media coverage based on which journalists and media outlets are reporting on relevant topics.
- Contribute to the development of written and/or visual content for monthly, quarterly, and annual project reporting to donors.
- Help develop partnerships with advocacy and media organizations; manage relationships with key journalists.
- Help develop exciting new content partnerships with major global media partners.
- Bachelor’s degree with demonstrable experience in developing and producing high-quality content for a wide range of traditional, digital and social media platforms in media relations and/or editorial roles.
- Outstanding writing and editorial skills, and an ability to express complex, abstract ideas to a variety of audiences – from political elite to general public – in a straightforward, accessible way.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of media relations, including crisis communications, with good relationships with a growing network of journalists.
- Experience securing media coverage for complex issues, and delivering major international communications campaigns.
- Experience managing media at major high-profile international events, including staffing press rooms and delivering press conferences.
- Experience using various content management systems and social media platforms. Experience using media monitoring tools and journalist databases.
- Strong ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and remain focused in a demanding and often fast-paced environment. Strong interest in climate action and solutions, and a passion for C40’s work; subject-matter knowledge or expertise preferred.
- Excellent team player/collaborator with strong relationship management and ambassadorial skills.
- Native proficiency in English -- spoken and written -- is required. Fluency or command of other languages spoken in the C40 network desired.
Applicants must already have the right to work in the United Kingdom. Occasional travel is required as part of the role.
Interested applicants should submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter to email@example.com. Closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday, 10 March 2019.
C40 is an equal opportunities employer.
For how C40 handles your personal information, please review our Privacy Notice – Recruitment.