Chief Executive Officer
The Travel Foundation
The Travel Foundation is a UK registered charity that exists to improve the impacts of tourism, bringing greater benefits for people and the environment in destinations. It does this by working in partnership with tourism businesses and destination governments to demonstrate alternative, more sustainable ways of working and encourage changes in practice. It is this practical approach that distinguishes the Travel Foundation from many other organisations in the field of sustainable tourism.
The Travel Foundation’s Board of Trustees is seeking an outstanding individual with a demonstrable track record of success to become its new Chief Executive. The Chief Executive will have the opportunity to develop and grow the charity’s existing work whilst shaping the long-term strategic agenda. This is an exciting time to join the charity, as there is considerable opportunity to capitalise and build on new research findings, launching new charitable initiatives that will benefit destination communities and environments, holidaymakers and the travel industry.
The person appointed to this position will have strong leadership and creative management skills (probably gained in a corporate environment for at least a substantial part of the candidate’s career), along with proven experience with, and knowledge of, sustainable tourism. With well-established networking, partnership and interpersonal skills, they will possess a natural ability to develop excellent relationships with a range of individuals and organisations. They will also bring a capacity for sharp and strategic thinking, together with an ability to operate and deliver effectively in a challenging external environment. They will be genuinely committed to the principles of sustainability and will relish the opportunity to exploit, with energy and enthusiasm, the organisation’s huge potential as one of the leading sustainable tourism bodies in the world.
As a key advocate for The Travel Foundation, the Chief Executive will display the highest levels of personal and professional integrity at all times, acting in a way that reflects positively on the charity.
They will be committed to quality, showing excellent, independent judgement, being able to make well considered decisions and be highly motivated to find and exploit new opportunities that are beneficial to the well-being of the charity.
From a communications perspective, the Chief Executive will be charismatic and personable, showing a considerable ability to inspire and motivate people both internal and external to the charity. Within the Travel Foundation, they will provide clear, consistent and fair direction to the executive team, offering suitable levels of autonomy and building trust to foster a fun and positive culture, a strong work ethic, and exceptional teamwork. At Board level they will also show the ability to work effectively with trustees from a range of backgrounds.
Externally, the Chief Executive will display the ability to inspire and attract new partners and funders, having the confidence to speak regularly at large, international events and with the media. They will have well-polished diplomacy skills, being able to maintain positive relationships with existing partners and funders, whilst developing mutually beneficial relationships with new ones. They will be persuasive and show tenacious negotiation skills.
Finally, the Chief Executive will display a ‘can do’ attitude, showing agility to change, flexibility and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the post, including evenings and weekends where necessary.
- Professional, executive experience with a comparable level of responsibility.
- Proven knowledge of, and practical experience working with, the principles of sustainable tourism, along with a genuine personal commitment to sustainability.
- Strategic thinking and proven organisational and people management skills.
- Extensive experience in income generation and partnership working.
- Experience with financial management.
- Highly effective communication skills, able to operate at all levels both orally and in writing – confident public speaker and media spokesperson.
- Experience delivering successful initiatives within a complex environment involving multiple stakeholders.
- Solid understanding of good governance and risk management.
- Diplomacy and negotiation skills to work with multi-stakeholder groups involving the public, private and third sector.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Experience of charity management & governance.
- Experience of the travel industry.
- Experience in using marketing and communications to help deliver growth.
For further information, including how to apply, please use the link provided.
More searches like this
- Fundraising International Full Time jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Senior Management International Full Time jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Operations & Service Delivery International Full Time jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- International Development International Full Time jobs in Bristol (City Centre)