Credit Union Manager
Greenwich & Bexley Credit Union is a not-for-profit co-operative based in South East London providing affordable loans and savings to over 9,000 local residents and employees. We have loaned nearly £40m and have assets over £10m. We operate a busy counter and employ 9 staff.
We are looking for a General Manager to provide leadership and strategic direction, and develop innovative ways of growing our services. You will have full responsibility for the operational management of the credit union and implementation of the business plan.
You will need a sound understanding of financial services and the regulatory environment, a proven track record of leadership, business management and personnel management, a commitment to our co-operative ethos and the ability to think creatively. This is an exciting time to join our growing credit union and support our members.
How to apply
If you would like to apply, please provide your CV and a covering statement outlining why you are applying for the post, how you meet the person specification and identify any areas in which you would need additional support.
Salary and hours
£45,000 - £55,000 p.a. dependent on skills and experience.
40 hours pw.
The General Manager is directly accountable to the Board of Directors and reports to the President.
- Provide leadership of the credit union under the strategic direction of the Board
- Be responsible for all aspects of the operational management of the credit union
- Represent the credit union to other organisations
- Ensure the credit union maintains the highest standards of professional competence, integrity, and service to our members
- Ensure the credit union is compliant with all relevant legislation, statutory guidance and Abcul rules
- Perform the regulatory Senior Manager function (SMF8)
- Provide accurate and timely returns to the regulators
- Ensure that the credit union is fully insured for all its activities
- Facilitate and support the work of the Supervisory Committee
- Support the Board’s plans for future growth and development by identifying new business opportunities, developing new services, identify funding opportunities, submitting funding applications and managing projects
- Prepare, implement and monitor a 5 year business plan
Policies and procedures
- Develop and implement all operational policies
- Maintain an up to date policies and procedures manual
- Ensure that records are maintained in compliance with the legal requirements
- Maintain security and confidentiality
- Facilitate and support Board meetings and other meetings requested by the Board
- Assist with the recruitment and training of Directors
- Provide the Board with accurate and timely reports
- Maintain a succession plan
Marketing & public relations
- Prepare, implement and monitor a marketing strategy
- Represent the credit union to the media, local MPs and Councillors, local businesses, and voluntary and community groups.
- Ensure the credit union is adequately and appropriately staffed
- Provide leadership, motivation and support
- Recruit and train staff and volunteers
- Provide regular supervision and appraisal
- Maintain accurate and up to date personnel records
- Manage staff sickness and leave
- Ensure the efficient day to day running of the shop, and any branches
- Ensure that members receive a prompt, courteous, reliable and confidential service
- Implement the Board’s policies on membership applications, share withdrawals, loans, and any other transactions
- Ensure that members are made aware of any relevant changes in services or procedures
- Respond to complaints
- Support the Treasurer to implement the Board’s financial strategy and achieve financial targets
- Develop and manage the lending and credit control policies
- Develop and manage an effective system of book-keeping
- Assist the external auditor in preparation of the annual accounts
- Ensure that any premises occupied by the credit union are secure, well maintained, clean and tidy, and present a good image to members
- Ensure that the credit union’s IT systems are properly maintained, licensed, and secured.
- Ensure that contingency arrangements are in place in the event of IT failures.
- Maintain the credit union website
- Attend meetings and carry out functions outside normal working hours as requested by the Board
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the post as requested by the Board
Required experience and skills
- Experience of working in the financial services industry (Desirable) or very similar role
- Experience of managing budgets
- Working knowledge of accounting rules and bookkeeping (Desirable)
- Understanding of the role of the financial regulators
- Ability to work co-operatively and constructively with Directors and volunteers
- Experience of marketing and public relations (Desirable)
- Excellent numeracy, literacy and communication skills
- Understanding of IT and working knowledge of MS Office programs
- Ability to think and operate strategically
- Ability to manage projects and to set and meet targets
- Experience of staff management
- Ability to motivate and train staff
- Ability to manage change
- Good understanding of credit unions
- Commitment to the credit union ethos
- Understanding of our members and their needs