Director of Finance and Operations
Wooden Spoon, the children’s charity of rugby, is currently looking to recruit an experienced Director of Finance and Operations to join the team.
Director of Finance and Operations
Based: Fleet, Hampshire
Salary: FTE £50-60k pa
This senior position will have overall responsibility for the finances of the charity reporting to the CEO and the Board of Trustees The successful candidate must be able to get involved in the detail when required. There is an opportunity to refresh systems and processes, and modernise and streamline the finance function, requiring original thinking and the ability to train and manage a small team.
It is envisaged the role will initially be full time based in the charity’s offices in Fleet. Wooden Spoon will consider candidates wishing to transition to a 4 day week on a proportionate salary.
The successful candidate will be part of a small, motivated team of around 14 people in Head Office. The charity is in its 35th year and the culture is driven by the need to evolve and grow.
- Play a key part in the senior leadership team, deputising for the CEO when she is absent.
- Support the CEO in developing and executing the charity’s strategy.
- Work with the CEO and budget holders to prepare an annual budget aligned with the strategy.
- Produce monthly financial information to enable staff to manage budgets in their own departments
- Managing and leading the Finance Executives and Membership Executive in order to deliver the finance and operational work required as efficiently as possible. The team comprises approximately 1.5 FTE’s.
- Communicate regularly with key staff to provide relevant information on financial performance, in a way that assists them in understanding performance and thus help them identify areas requiring attention.
- Support the CEO in monitoring the financial performance of the Charity. Provide interpretation, commentary and recommendations to the CEO in connection with the charity’s financial performance and related matters.
- Ensure all monthly management accounts and reports are accurately prepared on time including commentary and variance analysis, as part of the monthly report to the trustees.
- Ensure timely and accurate regional accounts are prepared, (essentially simple branch accounts for each regional volunteer committee)
- Manage all financial aspects of the awarding of grants to benefitting charities, including the monitoring of restricted and unrestricted reserves and the control and recording of the release of funds.
- Attend all quarterly Trustee Board Meetings to provide input on financial and company secretarial matters (including the risk register) and beneficiary projects.
- Preparation of all statutory accounts at year end, in full compliance with relevant accounting standards.
- Liaison with auditors throughout year and during audit
- Ensure that all corporation tax and VAT returns are accurately completed and filed on time and that all associated payments made
- Preparation of monthly payroll and year end payroll returns. Ensuring that the group is at all times compliant with PAYE law and regulations, and that all payments and returns to HMRC and the pension scheme are made on time.
- Manage Gift Aid claims and systems
- Coach and encourage the team to deliver high standards and review performance
- Lead the development of appropriate procedures and systems, manual and computerised, for use throughout the charity.
- Perform company secretarial duties maintaining and updating all records with Companies House, the Charity Commission (including online records) and the charity’s own risk register.
- Oversee the management of external supplier contracts, monitoring renewal dates and delivery, ensuring high performance and advising on cost saving strategies
- Ensure the appropriate policies and procedures are in place to ensure robust financial monitoring and management
- Seek best value, through competitive tendering, from suppliers of utilities, insurance, telecoms and IT
- Monitor HR policies and advice provided by an external HR consulting firm.
- In time, once the current IT integration has completed, review and further improve IT systems, in liaison with outside contractors as needed.
CCAB, CIMA qualified or equivalent professional experience – Essential
Practical finance, accounting and management experience – Essential
Knowledge of the charity sector – Desirable
Experience of leading people and teams, and training junior team members – Essential
Significant experience of preparing monthly management accounts, annual accounts, budget preparation, forecasting and monitoring – Essential
A proven ability to be ‘hands on‘ as required. We are a small charity and the candidate will be expected to be able to get involved in the detail when needed thereby supporting less experienced team members – Essential
Good working knowledge of HMRC in respect of PAYE/NI and in particular VAT regulations – Essential
Good communicator (written and oral), able to distil key messages from data and communicate them clearly to trustees, supporters, CEO and staff – Essential
In return, we offer a pleasant working environment, free parking, a friendly and open team atmosphere, pension scheme, and the opportunity to support children and young people with disabilities or facing disadvantage across the UK and Ireland.
Immediate start is possible.
Closing date for applications: 27 February 2019
1st Interviews: 7 & 8 March 2019
2nd Interviews: 18 & 19 March 2019
To Apply and for More Information:
If you would like to apply for this position, please click the apply button and attach your CV and covering letter, it will be sent automatically to us. A job description is attached to aid your application.
No agencies please.
More searches like this
- Senior Management Social Care & Welfare Full Time jobs in Basingstoke
- Management Social Care & Welfare Full Time jobs in Basingstoke
- Operations & Service Delivery Social Care & Welfare Full Time jobs in Basingstoke
- Business Development & Commercial Social Care & Welfare Full Time jobs in Basingstoke
- Finance & Legal Social Care & Welfare Full Time jobs in Basingstoke