Advocacy & Public Relations Manager
Formulate, develop and implement an effective communications and media strategy.
Position SR as influential in public debate on Syria, and remain a “front of mind” resource for journalists and other key stakeholders covering related issues.
Identify media opportunities by writing, editing, commissioning and disseminating press-releases, op-eds, statements etc., to secure coverage of SR’s work across the media spectrum.
Respond to media approaches and queries by providing background information, arranging interviews and other support as required.
Lead and develop a relationship building plan to ensure SR is well connected and respected amongst journalists, politicians, policy makers and other key stakeholders.
Maintain and protect SR’s reputation in the media, through identifying potential risk, planning for potential crises and responses.
- Keep abreast of Syria’s on going crisis and related news
- Keep abreast of regional advocacy groups in and around Syria
- Increase SR participation in global humanitarian initiatives, specifically the Grand Bargain
- Participate in the INGO’s, NGO’s Forums
- Maintain and continue to build relations with United Nations Secretariat, Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA),
- Give SR a place in the global humanitarian discussions, lead on local representation in global meetings
- Raising and maintaining awareness of Syria’s ongoing plight in the public and humanitarian eye
- Participation in the Grand Bargain
- Bridge the discussion with other INGOs in Turkey
- Train and advise staff/trustees on how to manage sensitive media situations.
- Regular visits to regional offices to keep up to date (Turkey, Jordan, Iraq)
- Capacity-building and training of new staff
- Fundraising, writing proposals, bids to seek funds from INGO’s and institutions
To promote SR’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day to day activities and delivery of services.Take business accountability for the delivery of shared business responsibilities e.g. relevant contribution to SR’s Objectives, Risk Register and Assurance Framework. To ensure that SR develops a culture that promotes equality and values diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all. To participate in SR related events as and when required. In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions. This includes:-
- Undertaking risk assessments in line with the Syria Relief risk assessment process;
- Reporting all incidents, near-misses and hazards in line with the Syria Relief’s reporting, arrangements and systems
- Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
- Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
Degree / HND in relevant field i.e. or equivalent
Level 4 A’ Level or equivalent
Several years’ experience in building strong relations and networking with key staff within various UN agencies, especially I/NGO, Forums, UN, OCHA meetings and with local ones.
Significant experience of developing and delivering communications and media strategies.
Collaborating in multi-national organisational problem solving, operations in complex organisations.
Demonstrated experience and expertise in interpreting and applying statutory and regulatory legislation, in executing awards and contracts from statutory entities and in maintaining a current knowledge of changes in legislation, application and enforcement of legislation.
Fundraising, writing proposals, bids to seek funds from INGO’s and institutions
Active participation with I/NGO Forums, UN, OCHA meetings and local.
Grand Bargain liaise and maintain relations
Knowledge and Skills
Public relations across all multi cultures and sectors
Fundraising, writing proposals and bids to I/NGO’s and institutions
Excellent communication skills with the ability to present to a broad range of people
Develop Grants Manuals
Serve as the SR’s in-house expert on UN grants and contracts rules and regulations, staying abreast of all financial, administrative and contract related business practice development
Manage and conduct compliance audits to ensure that internal and external processes are being followed.
Strong IT skills including Microsoft Outlook and PowerPoint
Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
Alacrity to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work and to travel internationally as required.