Head of Communications and Marketing
Reports to Director of External Relations
Contract Maternity Cover (12 months)
Salary £45,000 (plus London weighting of £3000)
Hours Full time (37.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday)
Location London or Bristol with regular travel to other locations around the UK, and other offices
Benefits A generous package including 25 days holiday a year, employee pension scheme with 4% employer contribution, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme
SafeLives is a creative, practical charity dedicated to ending domestic abuse. Since 2005 we have constantly looked to evidence, the voice of survivors and practical expertise from across the UK to improve the way domestic abuse is prevented, identified and addressed.
As well as being known for incubating new research and practical interventions to address the risk of domestic abuse, SafeLives has the ability and motivation to replicate and scale good practice so that victims, survivors and their children all over the UK can benefit. Last year, SafeLives’ interventions helped over 60,000 adults increase their safety, and many more children.
We haven’t yet gone far enough. Radical change is still needed to not just reduce the impact of domestic abuse, but also reduce the prevalence of the problem so that fewer individuals and families are touched by it in the first place.
Two million people indicated they had experienced domestic abuse last year and we know that those experiences, a significant majority of which were amongst women and girls, have a ripple effect into all areas of someone’s life and future. For this reason, we need to take our own initiatives - both existing and those still to come - and the partnerships we can forge with others, and influence those with an ability to reduce the prevalence and impact of domestic abuse.
Purpose of role
To build the brand of SafeLives with our key audiences, to communicate our new strategy and to keep the issue of domestic abuse in the public domain in a way that visibly shifts debate. We are evidence-led, which means robust data, the voice of survivors, and the view of experts coming together to demand change. You will be instrumental in pulling this together and making it compelling, simple and engaging to all our external audiences, including professionals, the media and wider public audiences.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Champion the SafeLives brand, spotting opportunities to develop it further and articulate it better and overseeing all brand communications to stakeholders and the wider public
- Lead public relations, promoting our expertise, evidence base, practical solutions, policy priorities, and support for professionals and growing our voice and influence
- Lead the improvement of our digital offer, looking at how to re-develop our website so it works more effectively for all our audiences and developing our social media presence
- Work with Public Affairs to influence policymaking within central and local government.
- Work with Fundraising, Training and Consultancy to support and promote our income generation activities, including public fundraising and marketing of our training and consultancy services.
- Work with the Research team to communicate SafeLives’ evidence and rich case study material, ensuring those communications have impact.
- Work with our projects and programmes to communicate the findings to key stakeholders (such as our work with perpetrators, partnerships with local authorities, our work with men and boys, our work on hidden victims).
- Work with colleagues right across SafeLives and the SafeLives family to ensure consistency of external messaging and build brand ambassadors.
- Work directly with survivors to ensure they are supported in talking to the press and their voice is amplified.
- Ensure effective measurement of and risk management for all communications activities.
- Lead the Communications team.
- Play an active role in the External Relations directorate, and contribute to SafeLives’ direction and culture as a member of the operational management team.
- Undertake other activities as required by the Director of External Relations and the senior leadership team.
Skills / competencies / experience
Experience (E = essential, D = desirable):
- Strategic communications and media relations, with a focus on influencing, brand and profile-raising (E)
- Digital communications, across owned, earned and paid media (E)
- Developing and delivering successful marketing campaigns (E)
- Leading and developing people (E)
- Using data and evidence in communications (D)
- Influencing key audiences through great communication (E)
- Reaching professional audiences with information and advice (D)
- Working with people affected by domestic abuse to enable them to tell their stories and influence change (D)
- Exceptional written and oral communication and influencing skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent PR skills, with strong political and media awareness and judgement
- Excellent digital and social media skills
- Excellent analytical skills to support design and delivery of marketing campaigns
- Highly numerate with ability to prepare and manage budgets
- Able to process complex information and ensure suitability for different target audiences
- Able to plan, prioritise, use own initiative and meet multiple deadlines
- Able to use initiative and judgment to identify problems early and propose solutions
- A personal commitment to equality of opportunity
- A commitment to help end domestic abuse
Inspires trust and confidence in others
Commitment to SafeLives’ values underpins all actions and decisions
Communications and relationship management
Communicate with energy and direction
Ability to build strong and effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
Promote and contribute to cross team working
Decision making and professional judgement
Makes effective decisions on a timely basis
Judgement and problem solving is based on identifying outcomes and victim focus
Teamwork & collaboration
Ability to lead and manage effective teams and create an inventive, responsible and generous team culture
Fosters an inclusive working environment so that others can contribute effectively
Strong focus on quality, performance and impact
Coaches staff to reach their full potential
Adapts quickly to changing needs of colleagues and stakeholders
Plans and prioritises work effectively