Head of HR and governance
You will oversee the HR team and provide excellent HR service and support to over 80 staff across multiple sites, currently across London. You will have experience of HR management, efficient HR systems and a proven ability to both motivate and be a part of effective teams. You will have excellent communication and organisational skills, be proactive and solution-focussed, and knowledgeable about or be able to access information about HR and governance matters.
The main responsibilities of the role include:
- Provide clear inspirational leadership that embodies the organisation’s values and ensures individuals and teams are aligned to the organisation’s overall strategy, annual business plans and budgets.
- Align HR resources to deliver the HR policy framework within agreed plans and funder requirements. Manage and coordinate the work of the HR team and providers, including monitoring and supporting projects’ service delivery and the effective development of the organisation.
- Ensure Advance has clear and appropriate services, policies and frameworks, including managing external relationships, with regards to HR systems including payroll, pensions and other benefits and other HR support services, to enable effective programme delivery and development of the organisation.
- Ensure that Advance has an effective framework of internal policies and processes that support the organisation’s mission, and is consistent with its values. Be responsible for effective governance, including relevant statutory reports and returns, supporting the board in its governance duties.
- Work with Managers to ensure all Advance premises are fit for purpose, accessible and ensure health & safety compliance, fire safety and other compliance.
Human resources and quality assurance
- Ensure the effective delivery of support to frontline services by the Business Services team and alignment with the programme teams, through effective leadership and management. Ensure that Advance has access to clear and accurate advice on HR matters, which is available to Managers in line with policy, employment legislation and best practice.
- Work with Directors of Services, Service Managers and the HR officer to coordinate and ensure the delivery of effective recruitment, staff development, training and performance management systems across the organisation, that leads to high-performing teams through continuous improvement.
- Lead on and deliver new developments including a staff engagement survey and training programme (the Advance Academy) to ensure alignment to the organisation’s mission and continued delivery of services at the highest standard.
- Together with the Directors of Services and the HR officer, ensure all staff are aware of their responsibilities in relation to agreed HR policies, procedures, codes of practice and safe methods of work.
- Manage all HR queries, providing advice and support to line managers and staff where required, as well as manage and resolve any HR issues arising in line the organisation’s policies and procedures, mission and values. Report to the CEO and the board of trustees on all HR matters, including recommendations for decisions and further action where necessary.
- Set up and embed a system of HR information to allow managers to effectively manage and keep abreast of HR records, information and related matters, and ensure the HR officer provides reports to enable effective decision making by the Directors, Chief Executive and the board.
- Ensure efficient HR management and planning systems, delivering reports to effectively inform HR and programmes/services strategies and to ensure that the organisation demonstrates value for money. Ensure a full audit trail is maintained, for the completion of monthly and annual payroll reports and related returns.
- Review and analyse monthly and other HR reports, including trends and performance against budget and key performance indicators, to inform management decisions and strategic planning processes, making recommendations to the CEO and Trustees as required.
- Ensure the effective production of HR information to support funding bids, tenders and the generation of new income, as well as the completion of funder reports as required.
Governance & risk
- Ensure policies and procedures that at all times protect the safety and security of Advance service users, staff, volunteers and buildings, and the confidentiality of records and other information.
- Ensure the effective implementation of ADVANCE’s Safeguarding, Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities/ Equality & Diversity, DBS checks and other policies and procedures, upholding the core values.
- Ensure compliance with all appropriate regulation and legislation including the new European Data Protection regulations and other related requirements, in conjuction with the GDPR external provider.
- Responsible for the coordination of information and reports for the HR, Governance & Risk Committee (board of trustees), including the risk register and the KPIs dashboard quarterly. Attend the committee quarterly and present to the board of trustee, supporting them in delivering their governance duties.
Strategy planning & implementation
- With the management team, support the CEO in the delivery and review of the strategic business plan and annual action plans, ensuring congruence across all services and that Advance values and strategic outcomes are evident in practice across projects.
- Work with the management team to deliver the annual business plans and lead on coordination and delivery of the organisational risk management and human resources work programme, delivering on priorities and identifying solutions to address concerns as necessary.
- Together with the CEO, ensure Board meeting reports are timely, efficient and effective, and that employees are engaged and involved in the review of policies, procedures and work priorities as necessary.
- Uphold the rights of women, children and young people and ensure that any risks/ needs identified are addressed, having full regard to Advance’s Safeguarding Children’s and Safeguarding Adults policies.
- Be responsible for personal learning and development and keep up to date with research, relevant legislation, policy and practice, and other literature relevant to the role. Participate in supervision, training and meetings as required, and assist in the development of services, aligned to business plans
- Work across teams and undertake such other duties, appropriate to a member of the senior management team, as may reasonably be expected.