Those with most potential are too often the least able to pay for education, the least able to pull favours, work for free, or find short cuts into creative & cultural work. Low income does NOT mean low intelligence, low imagination, or low ambition!
Arts Emergency is an independently funded charity registered in 2013 by Josie Long and Neil Griffiths, that offers a very personal approach to a serious social problem.
Our volunteers come from TV, film, music, art, fashion, academia, law, architecture, activism, comedy, social work, journalism, publishing, design, activism and theatre.
We have created a national ‘alternative’ Old Boy Network that aims to create privilege for people without privilege and counter the myth that universities, and in particular arts degrees, are the domain of the middle and upper classes. Our community is made up of over 6,000 cultural and creative professionals looking to give a leg up, and includes luminaries like poet Kate Tempest, DJ Clara Amfo, authors Reni Eddo-Lodge, Nikesh Shukla and Neil Gaiman, actors Julie Hesmonhalgh and Ellie Kendrick, comedians Sara Pascoe and Roisin Conaty and journalists Owen Jones and Suzanne Moore.
Our participants, who all come from less advantaged and connected backgrounds start the programme at age 16/17 and are supported up to the age of 24 with mentoring, ongoing access to our network, and a vast range of real life opportunities; from gallery visits and free theatre tickets, to work experiences, academic support, professional contacts, paid work, and general pastoral support from our small programme team.
WHAT DOES THIS ROLE INVOLVE?
As Communications and Marketing Manager you will support the front line work we carry out with young people by:
- growing our community by engaging existing stakeholders and recruiting new volunteers, donors, and influencers
- engaging our high-profile supporters and gatekeepers within industries like film, music, fine art and theatre
- developing great campaigns and marketing materials for a variety of audiences
- creating emotionally powerful case studies
- running campaigns at a local level, helping take our work national
BENEFITS TO YOU INCLUDE
- making a real difference in the lives of young people across the country
- taking on a very creative new role as part of a small, rapidly expanding charity with truly national profile
- an enhanced DBS certificate
- taking on a leading role within an energetic and passionate core team
INFORMATION ABOUT APPLYING AND WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a full-time permanent role paying £28,000 plus pension, based in our Dalston Headquarters with some travel nationally. There is a probationary period of three months and pay and performance are reviewed annually after your first year in post is completed.
DEADLINE for applications is 5pm on Friday 1st February and we will try to acknowledge all correctly submitted applications personally.
Please read the full job description and person specification, and be aware all applications must include a CV and covering letter addressing the full job description, and be sent by email with the subject ‘AECOMMS1’ to email@example.com