Head of Finance and Premises
Are you an experienced finance professional, able to quickly gain insights into this charity’s financial performance and how they could improve?
Are you interested in working for a local charity, based in Bristol that provides an essential service that anyone could need, at any time?
If so, then our client's Air Ambulance Charity is in need of someone like you. They’re looking for someone to manage their small team of Finance Officers, ensuring that income is maximised and processed efficiently. But they also want you to be a key part of their Senior Management Team, working collaboratively across the charity to help them improve. Whilst you may not be hands on with patients, by ensuring that their support services are excellent, you will help them raise more money, spend it wisely, and ultimately save more lives.
Title: Head of Finance and Premises
Hours: Up to 35 hours per week, flexible by arrangement
Salary: Up to £45,000 pa FTE, depending on qualifications and experience
Reporting to the Chief Executive, and as a member of the Senior Management team, the post holder will be responsible for an effective financial management strategy, manage all internal and external financial, regulatory and performance reporting and contribute to the charity’s strategic goals. The post holder will also be responsible for administrative services, information technology, facilities management and legal affairs.
This charity provides air ambulance and critical care services across Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire and North Somerset. On average, they attend 5 incidents a day - prioritising the most critical patients. They were tasked to 1,824 incidents in 2017, and need to raise over £3 million in donations each year to run their service.
From fundraisers and managers to Specialist Paramedics and Critical Care Doctors, they are a team, working to save lives that would otherwise be lost. The job can be high pressure, but is deeply satisfying, and every member of the team is committed to this service, and to saving as many lives as they can. This role will be pivotal in enabling the charity to continue their life-saving work.
- Be the strategic lead for all finance matters, including financial planning, budgeting, reporting, cash flow, investment priorities and decisions, VAT, tax, Gift Aid and financial policy matters.
- Work collaboratively with the Board, CEO and other staff as required to ensure the charity’s finances and related processes are effective, efficient and fit for purpose.
- Be responsible for the fiscal activities of the charity and any retail operations, implementing agreed decisions and working on own initiative in accordance with the Scheme of Delegation
- Be responsible for filing all legal and regulatory documents, information returns and general compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Oversee, direct, and organise the work of the finance team
- Provide analytical and statistical support, including development of internal reports on financial, operational and fundraising performance as required.
- Contribute to the achievement of strategic objectives and the overall management of the charity.
- Maintain communication, keeping the CEO and Board of Trustees informed of key issues.
- Oversee risk management, regulatory requirements, contractual and legal activities, including leases and insurance.
- Manage own staff team effectively, ensuring high performance and motivation.
- Provide oversight for ICT systems, ensuring the ongoing maintenance, updating and effective use of systems and infrastructure, including hardware, software and applications.
- Manage the charity’s premises, including health and safety, contracts and general facilities, ensuring that they are safe, effective and welcoming places to work
- Represent the organisation externally, as necessary, particularly in banking, legal and lease negotiations.
- Act as an advocate externally for issues relevant to the organisation.
- Financial acumen, with qualifications and significant experience gained within a similar role where responsibility has been held for the financial activities of an organisation
- Experience in managing the physical environments occupied/used by the charity
- A broad knowledge of legislation relevant to the running of a charity and limited company
- Good, current ICT knowledge, including advanced Excel skills
- Excellent communication and team working skills, with attention to detail and high personal standards.
- Fully qualified accountant status and registration
- Experience of a similar role within a charity
- Formal facilities management experience
- Experience in developing ICT systems to support the organisation's activities
- Experience of running trading or retail operations
- HR expertise
- Full UK driving licence
Why work for this charity?
When you work for this organisation, you feel part of something special. By the time you come into work in the morning, their crew may well have saved the life of someone you know, someone living in your local community.
From fundraisers to highly skilled paramedics and senior consultants, they are a team, working to save lives that would otherwise be lost. The job can be high pressure, but it is deeply satisfying, and every member of the team is committed to this service, and to saving as many lives as we can.
They pride ourselves on being an excellent employer – with only 15 employed staff we are small enough to feel like a family, but as they raise £3m a year to keep their service running, they are large enough to have a professional set-up and invest in their team members.
Although they think the biggest perk to working with them is knowing you are helping to save lives, there are some other benefits for employees:
- 25 days annual leave, plus Bank Holidays, plus a day off near your birthday and at Christmas (non-contractual)
- A 35 hour working week, with the option to pick your working hours between 8am and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday
- A friendly, open plan office with as much tea and coffee as you can drink (they know what’s important)
- Free car parking, and access to pool cars, courtesy of Smart Bristol, for work trips
- Pension contributions of up to 4% of eligible earnings
- Laptop and smart phone for relevant roles
- The chance to go to new places, meet interesting people and have experiences that you wouldn’t otherwise have!
They are looking for an experienced finance professional, who wants to contribute to the bigger picture and be part of an enthusiastic and dedicated team.
Closing date: 9am, Friday 25 January 2019
To Apply and For More Information:
Click Apply, after you have followed the job board process, you will receive an email from CHM Recruit with the Job Description and further details on how to complete your application.
No agencies please.