Me too & Co is a charity based in Twickenham which supports families who have children with additional needs and disabilities. We run drop-in play sessions with activities and therapies for children and information, training and advice for parents. We also run off-site projects such as hydrotherapy and learning to ride a bicycle.
Me too & Co is growing. We support more families and offer a wider a range of services than ever before. We were chosen by the Mayor of Richmond as one of her charities for 2017/18 and our volunteers have recently been awarded the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service.
We need an Operations Assistant who is dedicated, flexible and has the energy, passion and enthusiasm to make all our projects run well. A great all-rounder, you'll be equally happy carrying equipment around as motivating children to try out karate or music therapy.
You're happy to roll your sleeves up and get stuck into a diverse but hugely rewarding role. You'll be joining a small but committed team who support each other to make Me too & Co the best it can be.
If you think you could contribute to the running of Me too & Co as our Operations Assistant, we'd love to hear from you. Please download the job description and person specification. Then please send your CV and a covering letter of no more than 1 page explaining how you suit the role to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 13th January.
PURPOSE OF JOB
To support The Operations Manager to plan and deliver a programme of activities and workshops for children and young people with disabilities and/or additional needs up to the age of 25.
To support families and carers (including young carers) to access information workshops, support groups and activities to increase their well-being.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To assist the Operations Manager with the smooth running of our weekly drop-in play sessions on Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings in term time.
- To be fully responsible for the running of certain outside sessions such as the Pedal Project, currently on Wednesday afternoons and occasional other events
- To take on responsibility for running one pop-up session per week in the near future in various locations (eg Hampton, Ham, Barnes and Hounslow)
- To carry out a debrief with the Operations Manager and team at the beginning and end of sessions
- To work with the Operations Manager, Play Session Leader and Activities Leader in making sure that procedural guidelines are followed: our Risk Assessments, Child Protection duties, First Aid duties and Health & Safety requirements
- To take responsibility for ensuring that the sessions are set up safely and correctly.
- To ensure that all equipment needed for each session is ready for use.
- To carry out an induction with volunteers to ensure they are aware of the policies of Me too & Co, including Child Protection, Health & Safety requirements, Fire Drill and First Aid and to ensure that DBS checks are up-to-date.
- To ensure toys and equipment are maintained and clean and to organise termly volunteer cleaning sessions.
- To take responsibility for equipment needed for outside events such as Fairs, promotional activities etc. To ensure equipment is kept safely in the storage unit, logged, returned, repaired and cleaned as necessary and available for next use. To take main responsibility for setting up/break down of outside events which are usually at weekends and other out of office times
- To ensure our Member Guidelines for families are adhered to.
- To report back to the Operations Manager on any matters arising and to escalate any issues to be addressed
- To adhere to Me too & Co’s policies, including Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Safeguarding Policies.
- To accept supervision from the Operations Manager
- To undergo training and development as and when necessary.
- To attend all staff meetings and organisational events as required.
- To assist the Operations Manager and Development Manager with potential funding opportunities as appropriate
- To work at all times to promote equality, diversity, inclusion and individual rights and dignity
- To treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individual organisations and/or service users, volunteers, staff, etc.
- To provide timely, accurate information as requested, for the purposes of monitoring and evaluation to evidence the impact of the project
- To work evening or weekend hours as required by the activities relating to the service
- To support the team to ensure the long-term sustainability of the projects
- To undertake any other reasonable tasks consistent with the grade and purpose of the post.
This post is subject to the employee undertaking an enhanced DBS check - renewable every 3 years.
Essential qualifications and experience
- A flexible, can-do attitude
- Previous work with children and young people, particularly in small group settings
- A broad understanding of the issues affecting children with disabilities and additional needs and their families/carers
- The ability to undertake the physical work involved in the setting up and clearing up of play sessions
- The ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and school holiday periods
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work constructively with young people and their families/carers and other relevant agencies that may be involved
- Understanding and a sensitive approach towards the needs and challenges faced by young people with disabilities and their families/carers.
- A commitment to supporting the disability and additional needs community with whom we identify and support.
- A motivated self-starter who has the ability to work on their own initiative with minimal supervision whilst working as part of a team
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience in the charity sector
- Experience of working with children with additional needs and disabilities
- Computer literate and able to carry out basic admin tasks.
- A clean driving licence and use of a car for transporting equipment
- The ability to be efficient, responsible and maintain a high level of personal organisation.
Hours: Flexible hours – Likely work hours to include some of: Tuesday 130pm – 6pm; Wednesday 3.30pm – 6.30pm, Friday 9.30am – 1pm and either Monday or Thursday afternoon 3pm – 6pm to be confirmed, plus 1 hour admin. Some school holiday activities to be confirmed.