Senior Operation Manager (London)
Positions Senior Operations Manager (London) Job Reference: 18/50
Salary: £42,000 p.a. Inc. London Weighting 37.5 hours per week
Imagine Independence is a well-established, leading third sector provider of high quality, community-based support services for people with a range of complex needs, caused by their poor mental health, age or learning disability. Imagine’s specialist services have been rated as “Good” and “Outstanding” by the Care Quality Commission. There is now a great opportunity to join this successful, expanding organisation. You will be well rewarded and become part of a high energy, multi-disciplinary team of committed professionals.
Taking on a newly created role in London for Imagine Independence, you will have responsibility for Imagine’s high quality, community-based services supporting some of the most socially excluded citizens in the capital. You will oversee a portfolio of well-established social inclusion services, whilst helping to expand specialist accommodation and employment provision for people with complex needs to bring Imagine’s offer in London in line with its services in other regions.
Imagine is looking for a confident, skilled, appropriately qualified manager, with substantial experience of overseeing community mental health, supported housing and/or learning disability services; tender and grant writing; service development; and monitoring, evaluation and quality improvement methodologies.
Imagine’s services are delivered to an extremely high standard, strongly underpinned by social inclusion, recovery and independence. We have recently received ‘Outstanding Overall CQC ratings in one of our specialist services and achieved IPS “Centre of Excellence” status within Specialist Employment Services.
For an informal chat about this post, please call Elaine Mather on 0151 709 2366. Interviews for this post will take place in central London on the 14th of January 2019.
Closing dates for applications for this post will be 9am on the 7th of January 2019. To receive an application form, please email: email@example.com or look on the Imagine Independence website www.imagineindependence.org.uk
Imagine Independence aims to be an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community
Job Title: Senior Operations Manager London
Reporting to: Deputy Chief Executive
- JOB SUMMARY
Imagine Independence has been offering services across London for over a decade. The organisation now wishes to expand its service offer across the capital from its traditional social inclusion services to include specialist housing support for a wide range of service user groups and employment services, in line with its service offer in other parts of England. It anticipates that this expansion of its services will take place in the coming months and years. This reflects the expansion of the organisation generally, supported by a complete restructure of its strategic, business and management functions. As part of the latter, a new role has been created of Senior Operations Manager for London. The role will hold responsibility for the delivery of all services within the defined geographical area in line with Imagine’s business plan to include:
- Development and leadership of transforming care services;
- Development and leadership of a range of services for people with mental health needs;
- Development and leadership of a range of services for people with learning disabilities;
- Development and leadership of a range of services for older people;
- Supporting the Strategic Business Development Team in expanding business through contributing to the submission of tenders, mini competitions, partnership building, networking and identifying opportunities for new work.
- Supporting the mobilisation and operational management of services, with responsibility for ensuring all services are delivered to high quality standards, with all resources applied to produce the best value for the organisation, its commissioners and service users.
- To act as contract manager for services.
- To attend appropriate meetings and networks as agreed with line manager.
- To fulfil corporate responsibilities contributing to the meeting of strategic objectives; attending senior management team meetings and preparing reports required by the Executive Management Team, Commissioners and other relevant parties.
- To play a corporate role in continuous service development, including best practice regarding managing risk
- To ensure services are fully compliant with CQC regulations and be the Registered Manager for these services
In addition, Imagine expects all employees to carry out their duties in a manner which actively demonstrates commitment to the organisational objectives as they relate to individual posts and to be pro-active in working in a socially inclusive way.
The post holder will be based at one of Imagine’s office in London, and will work across London and occasionally other UK locations on request.
3. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY
The post has direct supervisory responsibility for all managers within Imagine’s London services.
4. MAIN DUTIES Under the guidance of the Deputy Chief Executive
Responsibilities to organisation
- To ensure organisational objectives are fulfilled through the development and delivery of local operational plans.
- To ensure that best practice is delivered across services including transforming care, mental health, learning disabilities, and older people’s services.
- To help secure new business by supporting the organisation’s response to new service opportunities, including securing non-statutory funding to expand services.
- To help build partnership working and attend networking events.
- To help to set up services and ensure they develop and are well managed;
- To oversee HR functions, including ensuring all supervision and annual appraisal processes are embedded, with training/development needs identified and met;
- To agree service budgets, ensuring services are financially well managed within the set budget.
- To ensure services are compliant with legislation, regulation and Imagine’s policies and procedures.
- To produce reports as required.
- To act as Contract Manager for services including the monitoring and evaluation of contract performance against outcomes, together with contractual compliance.
- To ensure Equality Impact Assessments are in place for services.
- To ensure that all staff collect and record all data required, for both contracts held and for internal purposes.
Responsibility to the Teams
- To line manage designated staff, providing regular supervision and support in accordance with Imagine’s policy.
- To ensure managers/staff are suitably trained to meet contractual, quality and organisational standards/values, including promoting social inclusion, independence and personalised support planning; ensuring these are monitored and re-enforced as required.
- To oversee HR issues within services – ensuring managers adhere to good practice in relation to recruitment and selection, identifying training and development needs, appraisals, staff wellbeing and support; ensuring proactive management of underperformance; minimising sickness absence; and proactively supporting staff to attend/return to work.
- To provide advice and guidance as required in relation to dealing with complex service issues, embedding reflective practice and ensuring teams are well supported.
- To continually develop best practice within services including in managing referrals, conducting assessments, ensuring robust risk assessments and mitigation plans are in place.
- To ensure teams are working collaboratively with partner agencies.
- To ensure compliance with CQC fundamental standards and work towards achieving good/outstanding status at inspection.
- To ensure compliance with ISO 9001 standards and with other quality marks as appropriate.
- REQUIREMENTS - All employees are expected to:
- Always act with integrity and with a courteous, professional manner.
- Ensure that the principles of equality are upheld in all areas of work.
- Always be responsive to customer needs.
- Adhere to all Imagine policies and procedures and work within ISO, CQC and Charity Commission standards at all times.
- Demonstrate commitment to the achievement of the organisation’s objectives.
- Comply with safeguarding, health and safety, and any other statutory regulatory requirements.
- Undertake any other tasks, which may be requested from time to time by the organisation.
- Safeguard all organisation property, privileged knowledge and adhere to confidentiality protocols.
- Meet targets and objectives as set by your line manager and defined in strategic/local operational plans
- Undertake all duties and tasks in an efficient, accurate manner, resulting in excellent service provision.
- TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
The post holder is required to show:
- Commitment to continuous personal learning and development and support the learning of other staff.
- Attend and participate in SMT/other meetings and regular supervision
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
Imagine aims to provide high quality services to enhance the quality of life of the people it supports. In order to fulfil this aim, it operates a policy of equal opportunities to ensure that no client, job applicant, employee, volunteer or carer is discriminated against, either directly or indirectly, on the grounds of gender, age, race, colour, sexuality, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origin, disability or marital status.
In the course of your duties you may have access to confidential information about individuals or about the organisation’s business. Under no circumstances must this information be communicated to anyone other than appropriately authorised persons. These may include medical or other professional staff who are involved in the care and treatment of the person. If in doubt refer to your Line Manager. The post holder is expected to recognise and adhere to the principles of GDPR in the conduct of their duties.
Please note that this job profile may be amended to meet the needs of the service. Alteration will be discussed in advance with the post holder whose agreement will not be unreasonably withheld.
Signed ____________________________________________________ Date _________________________________
Senior Operational Manager (London)
Method of Assessment
Training and Qualifications
- Evidence of continued personal development
- Qualified Nurse, Social Worker, or other suitably qualified professional, with substantial management experience.
- Educated to degree level
- Management qualification
- Post Graduate qualification
- Senior level operational/staff management experience across multi-disciplinary, multi-site teams
- Experience of working with at least one of the client groups covered by the job role
- Experience of tendering, seeking out funding opportunities through networking and mini competitions, planning/developing services in social care & expanding business
- Contract management, resource & financial management experience at a senior level
- Strategic development experience
- Experience of working towards CQC/ISO registration
- The Care Act 2014 and Health and Social Care Act 2008
- Mental Capacity Act 2015 with Best Interest Principles Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards; Court of Protection appointeeship protocols
- The Safeguarding of Adults and Children.
- The range of processes underpinning the creation of health and wellbeing
- Appropriate interventions to address avoidable health inequalities
- The Equality Act 2010
- Trauma informed practice
- Personalisation, accessing personal health budgets, maximising choice/control
- Strategies to ensure that social inequalities are recognised and addressed in service development and delivery
- Developing and overseeing managers with different levels of experience and competency e.g. role modelling, lead creatively and motivate
- Maintain high professional standards in teams - integrity of approach, boundaries
- HR management e.g. supervision/staff welfare/performance & absence management
- Demonstrable skills to address the range of client survival/coping strategies e.g. self-injury, development of chaotic relationships, eating difficulty
- Risk management skills inc. assessment/practitioner roles/managing multiple risks
- To act calmly/professionally in emergencies, to distress, disturbance,
- Positive Behaviour Support -managing conflict/aggression/challenge
- Support planning skills
- Well-honed admin, IT, organisational/planning abilities inc.delegating, prioritising
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to liaise effectively and report writing skills
- Genuine empathy/compassion for vulnerable people
- Commitment to Imagine’s philosophy inc. empowerment, recovery, independence
- A commitment to equality, promotion of diversity and social inclusion
- A willingness to listen, learn and reflect from experience/others and commitment to personal development
- Collaborative, flexible and honest approach to work colleagues, volunteers and service users
- Able to work under pressure, lead well and empower others to problem solve
- Highly motivated, driven and able to be creative/think outside the box
- Willingness to work unsocial hours inc. evenings and weekends
- Compliance with all policies/procedures of Imagine
- A commitment to co-production and peer support