Director of Communications and Marketing
Caudwell Children is a national charity which works to transform the lives of disabled children and their families, enabling them to challenge the barriers they face throughout childhood by providing practical and emotional support.
The Charity is entering an exciting period of growth with a major capital project following the move into a £15 million purpose-built therapy and research centre within the grounds of Keele University.
It provides a state-of-the-art base for the Charity’s therapies and an environment where ground-breaking research can be undertaken, potentially changing the way some disabilities are treated, affecting millions of people around the world.
As the Charity transforms and continues to grow, an increase in fundraising revenue is required through business development and partnerships. This is a fantastic and exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and fast moving Charity at a time when it will attract national and international attention.
PURPOSE OF THE POST
This is a new and exciting role within the Charity aimed at developing and delivering the organisations communications strategic objectives. Working as a member of our Executive Team, you will provide visible leadership and play a key role in creating the strategic direction of the organisation, developing the supportive strategic narrative and sharing consistent messages through a variety of platforms to all stakeholder groups.
You will have overall responsibility for development of the Charity’s strategic communications plan, developing coherent and supportive communications, delivering an integrated approach to the Charity’s national and international engagement activities and report on impact and successes. You will also play a key role in nurturing our relationships with key stakeholders and building strong support for our strategic objectives.
You will be responsible for increasing brand awareness, developing both national and international profiles and increasing benefits gained from digital and traditional marketing and communications platforms.
The successful applicant will be a natural strategic thinker, with extensive senior management experience and a track record of making a substantial strategic contribution to the success of an organisation, its corporate planning and decision making. You will be an inspirational leader with experience of successfully developing high performing teams, with a focus on achievement and continuous improvement. Experience of working in fast-paced environments will be a distinct advantage, as will experience of working in or closely with the third sector.
You will display first class communication and interpersonal skills used to build relationships, work in teams and collaborations and establish excellent stakeholder relations. You will use your natural communication skills to influence, inspire and align others behind the Charity’s strategy and objectives.
You will be expected to be motivated and motivate others through creativity; exploring and delivering innovative ways of communicating with new and existing stakeholders.
You will ideally be educated to degree level with a post graduate qualification or significant equivalent experience with relevant professional membership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Driving the PR, communications and marketing strategy to encompass local, regional, national and international opportunities.
- Developing and implementing the overall communications strategy to position the Caudwell Children brand with external stakeholders and the general public in the most effective manner.
- Continued development of Charity branding to embed our mission, vision and values with our stakeholders.
- Leading on proactive media strategy (supporting the CEO) and overseeing press handling.
- Leading on public affairs activity (supporting the CEO).
- Working collaboratively with the CEO to diversify media relationships.
- Leading on major communications projects.
- Leading on public affairs strategy and campaigns.
- Leading and supporting the communications team to implement work plans and projects across digital, media & PR, marketing, employee engagement and creative.
- Work closely with Fundraising and Service Delivery Teams teams to create marketing plans and merchandise for events and campaigns and ensure opportunities are maximised.
- Driving and ensuring the quality of all outputs, merchandise, materials, editorial and artwork ensuring it is appropriate and on brand.
- Develop a portfolio of core messages appropriate for all stakeholder groups.
- Oversee social media activity to ensure its appropriateness and evaluate how engagement can be maximised.
- Provide strategic direction for the development of the website and digital marketing.
- Oversee the monitoring and measuring of web analytics and devising strategies for increasing traffic.
- Integrating Communications activity with other teams within the charity.
- Ensuring the charity maximises the return and follow up from flag ship events.
- Creating, implementing and monitoring the effectiveness of current marketing strategies and recognising how to improve such strategies in a timely manner.
- Keep up to date with industry developments and third sector marketing.
- Set and monitor budgets and targets in collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer.
What's on offer?
State of the art facilities tailor made for employees, visitors, families and children in beautiful surroundings, including spacious work areas, sensory gardens, a fully equipped kitchen, in-door and out-door breakout areas, chillout areas, lockers and showers.
Other benefits include:
- A collaborative and fast paced environment.
- Casual dress code.
- Opportunities for volunteering.
- Coaching and mentoring.
- Opportunities for training and development.
- Employee and volunteer awards.
- Social events.
- Recommend a friend scheme.
- Childcare vouchers
- Workplace pension scheme.
- A chance to earn a performance related bonus.
- Staff discounts on spa’s, golf, health centres, restaurants and more to come.
- Christmas shut down.
- Free tea and coffee.
- 29 days annual leave, made up of 20 days contractual and 8 bank holidays, increasing to 30 days contractual and 8 bank holidays with length of service.
- A chance to work with talented and dedicated professionals who are passionate about changing the lives of disabled children in the UK.
DISCLOSURE AND BARRING SERVICE CHECKS
The Charity is committed to safeguarding children and young people and therefore adopts a safer recruitment approach through a robust recruitment and selection process. All posts within the Charity are subject to DBS checks, in line with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974).
As this role holds director level decision making responsibilities in a regulated service it is eligible for an Enhanced DBS check.
The Charity reserves the right to remove this job listing once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
If you have not been contacted within 30 days of submitting your application, please presume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.
Thank you for your interest in Caudwell Children.