Zoo Engagement Manager
ZSL is currently looking for a Zoo Engagement Manager who will deliver engagement for Whipsnade Zoo (WZ). This will include all types of visitor engagement ensuring visitors to the Zoo leave inspired, informed and empowered. The post holder will also be responsible for creating and delivering the Zoo Engagement Plan, that will align with the ZSL Engagement plan which will require working closely with the wider Zoo and Engagement department.
Zoo Engagement Manager
Contract: Part-Time / 12 Months Maternity Cover
Based: Whipsnade, nr Dunstable
Position Type: Fixed Term Contract Part-Time
Salary: £37,413 per annum FTE (£22,447 actual) plus benefits
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, our purpose is to inspire, inform and employ people to stop wild animals going extinct.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer for WZ, with a dotted line into the Principal Lead of Marketing & Engagement (PMEL), the role will work closely with HR and the internal communications manager on staff and volunteer engagement to ensure all people working at each Zoo are also inspired, informed and empowered to engage visitors and deliver a great day out.
This key position requires a highly creative, proactive and resilient individual who can use their initiative to problem solve. The successful candidate will have the ability to multi-task and stay calm under pressure and build strong relationships with a range of key stakeholders. It is a busy and demanding work environment, requiring you to have a good work ethic and ideally previous comparable experience in a public facing science, conservation or visitor attraction establishment. This is a fantastic position for an individual looking for employment in an international organisation. You will have exposure to a variety of departments and will have the chance to leave your mark on ZSL as we aim to meet our new vision and objectives under the new strategy ZSL 200.
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold a relevant degree in education / social or biological sciences or equivalent working experience.
- Hold an engagement, teaching qualification or demonstrable experience in a similar organisation environment.
- Have proven experience in designing and delivery of informal and formal education plans and sessions.
- Have extensive experience of communicating to a wide range of audiences.
- Have experience working within visitor attractions and engaging visitors.
- Have experience at completing evaluation and research projects.
- Current or previous people management experience (>10) is essential as is the ability to develop and work with a wide range of people from different cultures.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering community engagement or outreach programmes.
- Have a self-starter attitude and is comfortable working without close supervision and managing own workload effectively.
- Be able to use their initiative to identify ways of improving efficiency / dealing with issues proactively.
- Have strong and effective written and verbal communications skills with the ability to develop and maintain relationships with a variety of key stakeholders, both internally and externally, presenting a professional confident image.
- Be able to display tact and diplomacy, dealing discreetly with confidential information and in a secure way.
- Have knowledge of the education in zoos and aquariums – including BIAZA, EAZA networks.
- Have up to date knowledge on the legislative and regulatory framework within service area.
Salary for position, based at Whipsnade = £22,447 (FTE: £37,413)
This is a part-time (3 days a week), 12 months maternity cover contract that is part of a job-share. Job sharing is when two employees literally divide a job between them, and only work a few days a week to cover one full-time role.
This is a part-time (3 days a week), 12 months maternity cover contract position based at Whipsnade Zoo in Dunstable, Bedfordshire. Office hours are generally 9am – 5:30pm (Monday – Friday) however a high degree of flexibility will be needed to support the Chief Operations Officer for WZ, the Engagement department and wider business needs. This may include frequent travel to London, working on events, weekends or evenings, however time off in lieu will be given.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday (pro-rata'd allowance = 15 days), stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more!
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 9th December 2018
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position, please click the apply button to be directed to our website where you can download the job description and complete your application.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities in employment.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
No agencies please