FINANCE COMMITTEE MEMBER
FINANCE COMMITTEE MEMBER
Join us for an exciting opportunity to make a difference and use your experience of strategic financial management to help drive and support The Physiological Society’s strategic vision to make ‘Physiology flourish’.
In return, this role will provide you with an opportunity to put your skills and expertise to use in a different context, and ‘give something back’. It will help to fulfil your organisation’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) and add a new dimension to your CV. You will learn more about the work of an international learned society, and the successes and challenges a charity has in ensuring that the resources, processes and best practice are in place to advance physiology in order to foster the understanding and improvement of life.
As the largest network of physiologists in Europe, with academic journals of global reach, we continue our 140-year tradition of being at the forefront of the life sciences. We bring together scientists from over 60 countries, and our Members have included numerous Nobel Prize winners from Ivan Pavlov to John O’Keefe. We organise world-class scientific meetings, offer grants for research and innovative educational activities, as well as promote physiology through our outreach and policy work. We publish the latest developments in our leading scientific journals: The Journal of Physiology, Experimental Physiology and Physiological Reports.
We are seeking to broaden the skills and diversity of our Finance Committee and are looking to appoint an external member with a strong and diverse financial background. The Finance Committee plays a key role in supporting the Council of Trustees in overseeing all financial aspects of The Society, to enable it to deliver its Strategy 2018-22. We are committed to equality and diversity and encourage expressions of interest from all communities and backgrounds.
- A qualified/accredited professional with significant experience and knowledge of financial management and presentation and an understanding of issues affecting the not for profit sector.
- Experience of overseeing risk management and assurance
- Experience in scrutinising and interpreting financial reports, management accounts and be able to interpret complex information for less experienced committee members
- Ability to work as part of a team and to accept collective responsibility in decision making, accepting of others views
- Excellent listening, communication and committee skills
- A willingness to take the lead in relevant committee matters if required and to be available for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- Able to fulfil the time commitment for the role
We are looking for someone who is able to commit to the role and actively participate. Finance Committee meetings are held four times per year at our London office, approximately every three months. Committee meetings usually last up to three hours and are planned well in advance. The successful candidate would serve for four years.
This is an unpaid role, but expenses are paid for attendance at Finance Committee meetings.
Apply for FINANCE COMMITTEE MEMBER
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly