Age UK Exeter provides support and opportunities to over 1,200 older people in the city each week via its 110 dedicated staff and 320 fantastic volunteers. We are seeking an energetic and committed Services Manager with practice and management experience in a social care or health setting focussing on the needs of older people. You will support and supervise our team of around a dozen Service Co-ordinators and be responsible for the operation, quality and development of our diverse range of services. Problem solving skills are essential, as is a calm and efficient approach, sound professional judgement and the ability to manage competing priorities. An ability to think strategically, along with experience of working closely with the statutory sector are key to this position. A relevant qualification at degree level would be an advantage.
Services Manager Post - Background Information
Over the last 30 years Age UK Exeter has built a strong reputation for delivering quality services that put the individual older person centre stage. We currently provide support and opportunities to over 1,200 older people in the city each week through our 110 staff and over 300 volunteers.
We are an independent charity with our own locally elected Board of Trustees, each of whom contributes skills and experience that bring value to the charity. We are responsible for our own funding and governance and are part of a network of 140 independent Age UKs across the country. Our main centre and offices are in Cowick Street, St Thomas and we have a further centre in Mount Pleasant on the other side of the city.
We work closely with Devon County Council Adult Services, the RD&E Hospital Trust and the University of Exeter as well as many voluntary sector organisations in the city. Our funding comes through contracts, grants, fees, fundraising activities, donations, shop sales and occasional legacies and our turnover this year will be around £1.4m. We, like many charities, have struggled to maintain sufficient income to offset rising costs and so restructured the organisation 18 months ago in order to reduce our overhead costs whilst still maintaining services. We now expect to bring the organisation back into balance by the end of the financial year. Our services are as follows:
• Specialist day services for people with dementia – 100 places per week
• Day services for older people who are physically frail – 130 places per week
• One to one enabling and cleaning services – 500 hours per week
• Social and activity groups across the city – over 200 attendances per week
• Volunteer visitor befriending service to isolated people living alone – 70 visits per week
• Telephone contact service for people living alone– 100 calls per week
• Information and Advice service – 70 enquiries each week
• Lasting Power of Attorney preparation service – 2 – 3 people per week
• Benefits take-up service – over £1m in unclaimed benefits claimed each year
• Home from Hospital service – 15 people supported each week
• Dementia Carers support service – over 100 carers supported
• Dementia peer support gardening & arts project – 25 people per week
• Circles of Support university research project – 20 people supported
• Wellbeing Exeter GP Community Connector service – 35 referrals per week
• Men in Sheds project refurbishing and selling donated tools – 70 older men involved
• Lunches served in our community café – 150 per week
• One to one computer support sessions for older people
We have a strong team of very capable service co-ordinators and managers who are responsible on a day to day basis for the services we deliver, who are supported by the Services Manager. Our staff retention is good with most of our service co-ordinators having been with us for over 5 years. The reason we are recruiting now is that our existing Services Manager, after 3 and a half years in post, is relocating with her partner to Lancaster where he’s about to take up a new job.
Please see our website for more information or phone me, Martyn Rogers, CEO, for an informal discussion about the role on 01392 202092