Please provide CV and 250-word supporting statement that sets out how your skills, knowledge and experience match our requirements.
Reporting to Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Staff responsibility: Finance team (3 qualified, 3 studiers)
Bible Society aims to be one of the most respected and valued charities in the UK. According to Best Companies 2018, we are in the top 30, not-for-profit organisations to work for. We are committed to the highest of standards in everything we do.
- Support the CFO in setting a strategic financial framework for the organisation.
- Undertake business partnering with budget holders, directors and the Executive Team.
- Establish and maintain a strong financial control environment which supports the organisation.
- Continually seek improvements and efficiencies in all finance processes including Purchase to Pay, Record to Report and Order to Cash, including Charity specific requirements.
- Integrate/automate processes and eliminate any inefficient re-keying wherever possible by working with other departments.
- Oversee the quarterly forecasting process and the annual budget process. Manage cashflow forecasting.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with internal and external requirements, including those of the Charity Commission, HMRC, relevant accounting standards etc.
- Own and maintain day-to-day relationships with external parties – auditors, tax advisors, banks.
- Oversee, participate, and improve the month end close process to produce accurate management accounts by the fifth working day with all reconciliations complete and reviewed.
- Prepare the management accounts incorporating information from other areas of the organisation.
- Seek improvements in reporting on an iterative basis, working with the CFO to develop management information.
- Review and explain monthly results with directors/budget holders, improving their financial literacy.
- Draft Board papers analysing financial performance in collaboration with the CFO.
- Help to develop KPI reporting across the organisation, identifying indicators and developing processes to capture relevant financial and non-financial information.
- Work with Directors to input into the process of integrating financial and impact reporting.
- Provide all supporting year end papers to the auditors on a timely basis, prepare the statutory accounts and all supporting information needed to allow for signature annually at the July Board meeting.
- Collate information and provide project monitoring reports to assist in assessing progress.
Team leadership and development
- Establish a customer service culture within the finance team, balancing meeting needs of staff with other requirements.
- Encourage an open and supportive culture with no surprises.
- Conduct monthly 1-2-1 meetings with direct reports, managing, supporting and motivating staff.
- Create a positive working environment where the team can flourish.
- Undertake appraisals, reviews and encourage the development of all direct reports, to meet the changing needs of Bible Society’s activities.
- Promote and praise strong performance whilst dealing with underperformance promptly and directly.
Finance system and business improvements
- Seek out opportunities to improve efficiency in processes across the organisation.
- Ensure that finance systems are maintained, updated and are fit for purpose. Seek improvements balancing cost against the return.
- Deputise for the CFO as required from time to time.
- Take on additional project responsibilities as the business demands.
- Carry out ad hoc duties which may be required to ensure Bible Society maintains its effectiveness.
- Participate fully in the corporate life of Bible Society, by attending All Staff Meetings and departmental meetings as required.
Qualification, knowledge, experience and skills
- A CCAB qualified accountant, or equivalent, with significant hands-on accounting experience.
- Experience of designing and developing management accounts and reporting packs.
- Proven experience of leading and managing a team, including setting a strategy and motivating and developing staff.
- Able to organise and prioritise work and a strong commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Able to explain accounting concepts clearly to non-accountants.
- Experience of both VAT and payroll issues.
- Appropriate IT skills in the use of Word, Excel and accounting packages.
- Effective financial reconciliation skills.
- Very accurate, precise and thorough in all tasks.
- A completer-finisher who works to high standards.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Some knowledge or understanding of charity accounting requirements and standards and other accounting regulations.
- Experience within a commercial environment, working to tight deadlines and producing information to support the business.
- Some knowledge or understanding of charity and company law.
- Previous experience of the accounting package Exchequer would be beneficial, but is not essential.
- Commitment to the values and ethos of Bible Society.
- Good team player.
- An inquiring mind, able to solve problems and make appropriate decisions.
- Pragmatic – with a can-do attitude.
- Able to discern when to stand firm and when to give way.
- Committed to start tasks and complete them on time. Flexible to work through work peaks at different stages of the year.
- Enjoy people as well as numbers.
We hire for character
As well as recruiting for talent, experience and expertise Bible Society is also very interested in the character of its staff and would want to know how you demonstrate the following:
Character for leadership
You will be self-aware and know what it takes to connect well with others. This will enable you to inspire, challenge and support others such that you see your direct reports flourish and achieve defined outcomes.
Character for teamwork
You will demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, loyalty to and respect for colleagues, and a collaborative style of solving problems through a shared sense of common mission and purpose.
Character for followership
You will recognise the organisational structure, vision and mission and will constructively and proactively support this structure to operate effectively.
Vision, mission values and spirituality
At the heart of Bible Society is a commitment to our vision and mission. This is expressed through our four core values of integrity, intelligence, interaction and inspiration.
Apply for Financial Controller
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly